We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things that are overrated in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things that are overrated in LA

I just got back from LA and I have a list of things that are overrated. Mel's Diner. Tourist Trap! Very,very lame. Kitson in LA another lame store. It's basically Urban Outfitters only more expensive. Newsroom overrated. Tapings of TV shows.If you want to waste all your day go for it.I saw New Adventures of Old Christine and it took 4 hrs even though it's a half and hr show.Like I said overrated. Jimmy Kimmel. Another waste of time. I had tickets and didn't even get in.Basically like Jay Leno they give more tickets out then actually letting people in. On the plus side I saw a few premieres. That was kinda fun.Interacting with different stars. It was really disgusting seeing autograph seekers pushing their way to meet them when you know they are selling them on ebay or something similar. I liked the Sunset Strip.Some parts were better than others. Another overrated restaurant is In and Out Burger. Fatburger is much better IMHO.It was dissapointing seeing bums all over the place.I am not a snob or anything but they were everywhere.Even in Beverly Hills which has some dirty places there too.You would think Beverly Hills would be nice but I saw rundown buildings, writing on walls,etc.Again,I hate to come off as a snob but there were parts of LA that were disgusting. I mean homeless people all over the place, dirty places, quarters to go to the bathroom??

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

To truly experience LA is to skip all the tourist traps. I've lived here my whole life and would never, ever, go to a TV taping.

Regarding the homeless population, that's not our city's fault, it's the government. There's no money for the mentally ill, or those who need special care, or for veterans, and so they go where the weather is most consistently fair - Los Angeles.

With everyone a NIMBY, we take care of those that no one else does.

There is always a raging debate about In n Out, I am one of those on the side who doesn't get it at all. For a great burger, go to Father's Office or 3 Square. Newsroom? Never bother. Again, it's all about staying away from the traps, and the places you see on TMZ.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

The only reason I've ever been to TV tapings were for school/club fundraisers when I was younger (they actually pay people to attend) or if there was a musical guest on a late night show that I or a friend really wanted to see. I wouldn't suggest seeing a taping unless you really like the show or somebody on the show.

I love Mel's because it's open 24 hours and isn't a drive-thru, but I don't think it makes a very good tourist attraction. In N Out has grown on me, but I still don't crave it whenever I'm out of LA like a lot of people do (or claim to). I think a lot in LA is overrated/disappointing, which is why I'm always surprised that people are coming here from places that I think are really cool. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Wow. You did the touristy things, which is what you said you wanted to do in your previous posts. What did you expect? If you asked for non-touristy things to do, we would have provided that info for you, but then you probably would have been upset that you didn't experience the "real LA" that you have seen on TV.

FYI: what you see on TV is not real. It's footage that's been filmed and edited to make everything look nice and exciting. I really wonder where in the Midwest you are from. I go to Chicago quite often, and there are plenty of homeless people there too. It's called a big metropolitan city. You may want to stick to visiting small towns if that's not your thing.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Most tourist traps are overrated. Totally agree with you about In N Out. Another one is Pinks Hot Dogs!

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

There are, what , 8 million people now in Los Angeles? I'm surprised you didn't see MORE homeless people. I mean, when you consider that, during your trip, you probably saw 5000 people out walking, 10000 people shopping and dining, and 150,000 people driving around.....is 50 homeless people a lot? Where exactly would you like them to go ever since Ronald Reagan closed all the shelters and hospitals?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Hey, if I was homeless, I would be in SoCal too. Why be homeless in a cold place if you can be somewhere else? We were in Plymouth, MA last April when it was supposed to be at least somewhat spring-like and it only got into the 40's during the day and dipped into the 20's at night. There was one homeless guy who slept outside on a bench right on the harbor...BRRRRR!!!!

I have never been to a large city where there weren't lots of homeless people. I would be surprised NOT to see them in a city as big as LA!

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

HOLY!!..would you get real? homeless people are everywhere even in your city, your town I am sure. Your post came across as very distainful and hateful. I hope if you were ever homeless one day, some other kind souls will show you more compassion than you've shown.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Hey, Hong Kong has 8.smth million people too. Ugly areas llike Mong Kok or Shau Kei Wan are crooked, but there's almost no homeless people around. In fact, living in deluxe homes in these areas are almost the most expensive.

Midwest
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Actually where I live Panhandlers and homeless people get arrested. We have a no panhandler law. Yes, there are homeless people but like I said they are asked to move it

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things that are overrated in LA

Hong Kong probably ships homeless people out of town. We treat them with dignity at least, well most of the time.

To bad you had not to much of a good time as it seams, i love to go to Jimmy Kimmel tapings, there must have been a big guest for you not to get in.(he is quite popular after the I f&^%k Ben Affleck video_