We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas to stay in LA

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safe areas to stay in LA

Hey I was wondering what were the safe areas to stay in LA because this week I have to book my hotel!

Encino, CA
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

LA overall is a pretty safe place! And is one, if not the most diverse city in the world! There are a lot places where you can stay. I went to UCLA, and the area around there is nice. If you want to be near Sunset Blvd where House of Blues or the other hot clubs and restaurants are, stay in the Westside. Like Westwood, Century City, West LA, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Brentwood area. Culver City is also pretty nice. If you want to be by the beach, you can either stay in Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica. Or even look into the South Bay like Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach. Hermosa Beach has been a fun hangout lately and attracts a young attractive crowd, especially out on Hermosa Beach Pier. Pasadena is also pretty cool area! Old Town Pasadena has various clubs/restaurants and stores around that area and is a fun hangout on weekends. One thing about LA, it is spreadout, full of diverse neighborhoods, and you really need to have a car to explore. Have a great time!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

I live in LA.

I don't know what your budget is or what you're looking for.

If you like partying and want the true superficial LA experience, you can stay up on the Sunset Strip-The Standard, The Argyle, The Mondrian, the Hyatt, Sunset Marquis (the quietest one)

If you like to shop, Le Meridian is near the Beverly Center area/ 3rd St. Farmer's Daughter is on Fairfax across from the Farmer's Market/ the Grove (this is a motel). Century City hotels are expensive, but safe and central if you have a car. The best clothes shopping is on 3rd St, Robertson Blvd, La Brea.

In Santa Monica, there are a number of really quiet hotels to stay at away from the action & you can drive about 1 mile to the shopping areas. The Ambrose is at 20th and Arizona, the Best Western is at 20th and Santa Monica. I don't think either are too expensive

Stay away from Downtown, LAX, Culver City (safe, but why stay there?). Venice is kind of seedy also. Downtown is very dangerous. LAX is close to Inglewood, sometimes questionable.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

THanks for the tips b/c I'm going there in Sept and have NO clue where to book a hotel (which area is safe).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

THanks for the tips b/c I'm going there in Sept and have NO clue where to book a hotel (which area is safe).

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

All the touristy areas you would want to book are safe. As long as you don't book outside the main tourist areas, you'll be fine.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

HorseyManitoba, please begin a new thread. The one you bumped is 5 years old.

Be sure to include your budget per night.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

LA is great but does have some unsafe areas (coming from someone raised here and who has spent plenty of timing dining and dancing here) so you do want to be careful where you stay. Plus you want to be near all the things you want to see. I would stay in Beverly Hills, some areas of Santa Monica, or Malibu. It really depends on what you want to do. If it is clubbing then you want to be near the Sunset Strip; you can book a room at the Standard Hotel. This would also put you close enough to Beverly Hills so you can shop

8. Re: Safe areas to stay in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 05:44