We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

England UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

Los Angeles

I may be in the USA carrying out research for 5 to 6 months starting out in Atlanta. I will be travelling all over the USA. Can anyone advise the best places to find reasonably priced internal flights, car rental and accomodation ? Are there any deals for regular users with the bigger companies in any of these areas ? Is there anything worth joining to get a discount ?

Is it cheaper to travel by train ? I will be mostly staying in the bigger cities.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Badger of the Yard

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

Kayak.com will show you the lowest airfares. The only airline not listed on kayak.com is Southwest Airlines, which tends to be the lowest airfare, but the big guys are competing.

The rental companies are Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, Budget. You'll have to call around, see who will give you the best deal. AAA membership sometimes gets you a percentage off, but if you don't have a car, you wouldn't need to join AAA (Auto Club)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

In general southwest.com, americawest.com and frontierairlines.com will give you the least expensive prices although the routing on these airlines can be a little convoluted.

Look at travelocity.com, click on the CARS tab for a side-by-side comparison of car rental prices. Be sure to click the ONE WAY link if you plan to pick up a car in one city and drop it in another.

Amtrak.com, the national rail company has travel passes that you can purchase but the trains are slow compared to flying or even taking a bus.

Greyhound.com is the national bus company. They, too, have a number of travel passes. The buses run frequently and they're cheap but it isn't the most comfortable way to travel. I would use them for short rides (3 or 4 hours) only.

Good luck!

England UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

Yogachik and HopSkipJump,

A splendid response both very useful.

Do you have any idea as to how much a room is at the Premier Inn type chain hotels ? A particularly general question but I am trying to 'guest-a-mate' the expense of my proposed travels.

Kind Regards

Badger of the Yard

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

Choice Hotels would be a good chain to consider for lower-priced lodgings. They have a frequent stay program where you can earn free nights, and if you sign up for their credit card you come close to two free nights immediately after just one stay. Best of all, they have hotels EVERYWHERE.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

There is no way to give you a "general" rate that applies to all cities. It depends on the city and each where in the city you will be staying. NYC would be most expensive. Hard to find anything decent for under $200.

www.travelzoo.com is a good place to check for current best deals on hotels and car rentals in each city. However, you will have to outline your route first. kayak.com is a good site for flights that compares most. sidestep.com is another similar site.

Sometimes, buying flight and hotel together can be discounted on expedia.com, travelocity.com, etc. However, if the exact hotel is not important, it could be cheaper to get a flight on its own and then get a hotel on hotwire.com or priceline.com (read biddingfortravel.com first).

Keep in mind that no one airline is always cheapest. Best way to get a good rate is to buy as early as possible (3-5 months ahead) and flying Tues-Thurs and on Sat, either early morning or late at night.

I wouldn't stick with any specific chain of hotels. Variety, convenience of location, etc varies a lot by each city. You need to do research in each city separately and base it on where you will be spending most of your time in each one. In some cities like LA, it will also depend on whether you will have a car. In other cities like NYC, Chicago, and SF, a car is a hassle to have - it's best to use public transportation.

Flights are usually the same price or cheaper than the train tickets (and faster of course) if bought ahead of time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

The train system in the US is not like the one in Britain. Here they are slow, somewhat sporadic, and the train stations may be located in an undesirable part of town, far from car rental places.

But do you need speedy transportation? It's a huge country, but it you have the time, why not travel by car?

As a *very* general number, I'd think that if you are staying in a largish city, in a low-to-medium priced motel or motor hotel, you're going to be paying something between $100 and $150 USD per night.

Rates will vary *considerably* throughout the US.

Some chains that you may want to check out for pricing information are Comfort Inns (a member of Choice Hotels), Holiday Inn Express, Best Western (individually owned), Super 8, Days Inn.

Motel 6 are very, very basic, but often okay if it is a newer one, built since about 1995 or so. Their prices range from approximately $50 - $120 USD per night.

Often if you can stay outside the core urban area, you will pay less money!

England UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

Clubjeff,Smartcooki & Half Brit,

Thank you for your replies. I am now better able to formulate a 'cunning plan'.

Be Lucky

Badger of the Yard

8. Re: Business Travel Advice on Internal Flights and Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:16