We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

We're visiting California for the first time late June/July (family of 4- G 15 and B 14). Arrive 25th June, 3 nights in LA then flying to Phoenix for 3 night trip to Grand Canyon/Flagstaff before moving on to SF. Originally hoped to go by overnight Amtrak to Flagstaff but arrives 5a.m. and no car hire open then. Last day in LA Saturday -planning to spend around Hollywood/Farmers' Market/La Brea. Could either fly from ONT at 6.45p.m. (times suit better than LAX) which gives good early start for drive in morning but breaks up last day in LA or fly 6.45a.m. from BUR. No idea how long we'd have to leave for getting to ONT on a Saturday afternoon -and assume we'd have to hire car for day to do this? Any thoughts? Thanks for help!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,473 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

The staccato style of your post makes it very difficult to understand the question, and I've read it several times!

i think you want to be in Arizona in the early morning?

Ontario is far from LA, and you'd need a rental car to get there. Burbank is closer, LAX is really the easiest to get to without a car, particularly from the Grove.

I don't know whether or not I've answered your question.

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Hi Yogachik

Thanks for your reply. Sorry -it's the first time I've tried posting a question so don't think I've got the hang of it yet!

Yes, you're right -we want to be in Phoenix by early on the Sunday morning to drive up to the Grand Canyon and explore on the way. So we could either fly on the Saturday evening (which might really cut short our time in LA that day but would give us a good early start next morning) or fly out early on the Sunday(means that by the time we arrive, hire a car and get out of Phoenix it will be later). I'm concerned about the traffic in LA on a Saturday afternoon, how long it would take to get to different airports and whether it would be more relaxing to stay at an aiport hotel Saturday night instead and fly out early.

I was avoiding LAX because I thought the traffic around it might be horrendous and so that we'd end up going there really early just to be sure we didn't miss flights.

Hope this makes more sense!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Traffic shouldn't be bad on Saturday and LAX is much easier to get to than Ont. Burbank is the easiest though to fly in and out of - nice and small and easy. Have you looked into flights on both Southwest and USAir - they both have good fares and fly back and forth about 10 times a day (we make the flight regularly as my parents are in Phoenix).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,473 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

A 7AM flight will have you on the road to the Grand Canyon by 9:30ish. A 7PM flight will have you in traffic, MAYBE. Hard to predict Saturday traffic to LAX.

Usually, the least expensive, and most frequent, flights are out of LAX. But Burbank is a breeze of an airport.

I'd take a night flight, and avoid the stress you'd feel the night before an early flight. I believe you can get a flight as late as 9 or 10PM, which wouldn't cut into your last day in LA

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,546 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Southwest has a 20:30 departure from LAX arriving in PHX at 21:50 ($69.50 including tax). Info at southwest.com

United has a 22:10 departure from LAX arriving at 23:31 ($118.51). Info at United.com

America West has a 19:25 departure at LAX arriving at 20:48 ($106.50). as well as a bargain flight from Burbank. also departing at 19;25 (from BUR) and arriving at 20:55 ($69.50)

Info at americawest.com

Good luck!

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Thank you all for all that great advice. We've decided to fly Burbank to Phoenix that evening -great to hear about two different airlines as well as their flights suited us much better.

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

Hi HopSkipJump

I can't find the bargain BUR to Phoenix fare you mentioned on America West-when I go in to their website I get US Airways giving a fare of $349 for the 1925 flight.

Sorry for more information needed...

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

America West is now part of USAir. Their flights have a certain number of cheap seats but the prices rise as the flights fill up and you get closer to the departure date.

9. Re: flying LA to Phoenix-advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 08:16