We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Advice LA

Annapolis
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route Advice LA

Based on comments posted to this forum, I have booked myself and my family for a Warner Bros Studio Tour. We arrive at LAX around noon on friday, June 20th. We only have one night in LA. To be on the safe side, I booked the last tour at 4:00. After the tour (around 6:15) I think it would be nice to drive the Rodeo Drive to Mullholland Drive route to somewhere. Any pitfalls in this thinking at this time of day? Is there a better drive to do? Also, would like to end up at a restaraunt on the coast for dinner. I was thinking maybe somewhere that we can view sealions. They are really adorable and we don't get to see them on the east coast. Dinner around 8 or 8:30 would be good. I am hoping someone can make a combined drive/dinner suggestion for the return trip from Burbank. I am assuming that Friday eve may be tough with traffic, but I don't really know what to expect by LA standards. We are staying at LAX and renting a car. Thanks.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,077 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Advice LA

I imagine it will be too late to make any changes but, if not, change your arrival airport to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (just 10 or 12 minutes from WB). Do this, even if you have to pay a small penalty. Many airlines treat LAX and BUR (Bob Hope) as "the same city" and, therefore, do not charge a "change fee". Call and ask. Southwest Airlines & U.S. Airways fly DIRECT into BUR from Washington. Southwest also flies from Baltimore). United and others fly into BUR via other cities.

LAX is SOUTHWEST of the city; BURBANK is NORTHEAST of the city which means that you will be traversing the greater L.A. metro area (diagonally!) TWICE on a Friday afrernoon! Don't do it! Rush hour on Friday starts at 1 pm and goes to 7:30 or so.

Fly into BUR even if you have to "change planes" somewhere because you will avoid tons of traffic PLUS getting through BUR (and on your way) is much easier since BUR has 1/10th the traffic of LAX and handles only DOMESTIC traffic -- no international flights.

Under your present plan. you will hit major traffic from the time you arrive at LAX until the time you arrive at your restaurant for dinner.

If you can change your arrival to BUR, you can take the tour earlier -- call WB and they will change your reservation! This way, you can be on your way to Mulholland earlier. Mulholland, btw is at the top of the Hollywood Hills and has great views of Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley but it is very curvy so take your time, and pull over often and rest. You can "come down" from Mulholland when you get into the Beverly Hills area (to see Rodeo Drive) but you will hit lots of traffic when you do so. The longer you stay on Mulholland (traffic wise) the better (however, you might be dizzy after all those curves).

If you can't change your reservations, I would drive through Rodeo on the way to WB. Then, on the way to the beach, I'd stay on Mulholland for as long as you can.

There are no sea lions viewable from restaurants in the L.A. area. I'll leave others to make dinner suggestions. What kind of food do you like?

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Advice LA

Really, you need to check out a map (Google Maps or Yahoo! Maps) and see where all these things are.

LAX -> Burbank -> Rodeo Drive -> Mullholland Drive -> Coast Restaurant is definitely a zig-zag course.

You might want to skip Rodeo Drive. Most of the stores will be closed by the time you get there.

And, sadly, you will not see sea lions at any restaurant within driving range.

Yes, Friday will have plenty of traffic, and it's fairly unpredictable.

Assuming that Rodeo Drive is a must, here's the route I'd take.

From WB, south on Barham Blvd. Left on Cahuenga Blvd. W. then right on Mulholland Drive.

Mullholland Drive west to Benedict Canyon Dr. Turn left/south.

From Benedict Canyon Drive, you can take Rodeo Drive at the Sunset Blvd intersection.

After perusing Beverly Hills, hop on Wilshire Blvd and take it west to Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica.

Eat somewhere in that vicinity, then back to LAX via Lincoln Blvd. south.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Advice LA

Agree with above.

One suggestion. While you can't see sea lions here, you might see dolphins. Problem is, your plan is for a late dinner, and the dolphins are usually out late in the afternoon. Can't see anything in the dark.

Coast restaurants I would recommend would be Duke's or Moonshadows (both in Malibu, about an hour's drive from Warner Bros).

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route Advice LA

The drive you asked about, as well as some others, is nicely described at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c86961/Los-Ang…

Annapolis
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route Advice LA

Thnak you all very much. Advice well taken, I should have looked at a map. Please help me formulate a new plan. Must fly into LAX and want to do the Warner Bros tour. Will leave the airport hotel around 1:30. Tour starts at 4:00. What route should I take on the way and then what drive and area or part of town for dinner afterward. Any kind of food is ok. No problem skipping Rodeo Drive if that would be better and I am not fixated on any particular place. Thank you for your help.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route Advice LA

From the hotel, hop on I-105 east to I-110 north to CA SR 110 north to I-5 north to CA SR 135 west to Warner Bros.

You will hit traffic periodically, but you should make the 4pm tour.

There are a bazillion restaurants in LA, and plenty of great ones. People need to know when the tour ends and what time you want to eat....then we'll direct you to chowhound.com

Annapolis
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route Advice LA

Thanks. Tour ends at 6:15 pm. Would want to eat around 8-8:30.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route Advice LA

Oops...a slip of the finger. In those directions, that last road should be CA SR 134 west.

You will be getting out while the area is still in the thick of traffic. Is there any way to convince you to eat locally right after the tour? Once done with dinner, you'll have fairly open roads to enjoy. Otherwise, you'll just find yourself fighting the traffic in pretty much any direction you go for the next hour or so.

Annapolis
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route Advice LA

Yes. If you think dinner locally is best and then we will do a nice drive after dinner. I can chowhound dinner in the Burbank area (unless you have a place in mind). After, which drive would be good - is Mullholland still an option or are we better off doing another drive? Thanks for the help.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route Advice LA

Mulholland Drive is absolutely still worth the drive from US 101 to I-405.

From there, you might consider going south on I-405 to Sunset Blvd. Take Sunset west to Pacific Coast Highway. From there, turn left and go back to Santa Monica then down Lincoln Blvd to the LAX area.

Definitely a good drive after the traffic settles down.