We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Philippines
6 posts
Save Topic
suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

My husband and i are planning to make quick stop in L.A. on the third week of april before we head out to orlando. It's just for three days. i'ts our first time to travel in the U.S. I really want this to be an extra-ordinary trip for my kids. Please help!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

How old are your kids? Where will you be staying? Budget? will you have a car?

I assume as you are on your way to Orlando - you will skip Disneyland here.

Some ideas that could work - but again depend on the age of your children is to

1. Stay at Loews Hotel in Santa Monica - it is on the beach, nice pool area.

2. Spend some time at the Santa Monica Pier. They have some fun rides - nothing fancy but the is something about riding a Ferris Wheel with great ocean views.

3. Rent bikes (or bikes with trailers) and cruise down to Venice beach and back).

4. Spend a day and head north towards Moorpark / Simi Valley. There is a pick your own farm there and Strawberries are in season. They are so sweet and good. In Simi there is the Reagan Library - Air Force one is there that is great to explore.

5. The Griffith Observatory has a great planetarium show.

If you can give us a bit more information - I can help with more age appropriate activities.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Check the family travel section for LA at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-s401/Los-Angel… for some thoughts

Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. :)

Actually we would be visiting L.A. after Orlando. We would be taking our flight home from LAX. We are planning on a budget of 500-700 dollars a day (hotel,transportation,food,etc.)and lower is definitely better! We would be staying for 4 days and 3 nights. I have 3 boys,4,8,10 years old respectively, and a 2 yr old girl. We will be traveling with our nanny. Hope to get more sound advice from you again soon!

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Since you are from outside of the US, I would recommend someone help you with your planning.

This trip planning service is great:

http://www.thetripgeek.com

If you are visiting Disney World when you go to Orlando, then you don't need to do Disneyland, as another poster mentioned. I would stay either near Hollywood or Santa Monica. If you stay in Hollywood, you are near some of the famous LA attractions like the Chinese Theatre, the Walk of Fame, and the sign, and Universal Studios is right there as well. Universal is great for your kids and you. If you stayed in Santa Monica, you would have the beach and some great shopping and a beautiful community, and Hollywood is just 1/2 hour away. If you don't have a car though, that can be tricky.

Also, there are tours that can pick you up in Hollywood and take you to the San Diego Zoo and Wildlife Park, or Sea World. Those are some great attractions for the family that are out of the way, but make for a great day.

Have fun! I love LA!

Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Thank you for the prompt reply! i think we'll do just that. May I also ask for a recommendation for a hotel or an inn?

If you you guys ever plan on visiting our country, do let me know, it would be a pleasure for us to help you out with your trip as well. We have wonderful beaches here. Shopping is great too,cheaper than Hong Kong and Singapore, but not as scary as Thailand! :)

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

If you stay near universal, I would stay at the Hilton Universal City, Sheraton Universal, or Holiday Inn Universal (aka Beverly Garland I think). If you stay in Hollywood, I would go with the Renaissance or Roosevelt (if you want the nicer end) or the Hollywood Celebrity or Orchid Suites Hotel, middle of the road hotels, right behind the Chinese Theatre. Whatever you choose, it will surely be very memorable!

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

Also, if you stay in Hollywood, the subway (Metro Red Line) will take you from Hollywood and Highland (the nearest stop to all the hotels I mentioned above) straight to Universal, and you wont need to park and pay or deal with traffic.

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

I'd try the sheraton, hilton universal or holiday inn universal city if you decide to stay near univ. If you want to stay in Hollywood, the renaissance and roosevelt are right smack where you'd want to be (but are pricier). For a middle class hotel I'd go with the hotel celebrity or the orchid suites right behind the chinese theatre. They have kitchens too so you can even cook if you want. Have fun!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

With a 2 and 4 year old I would skip Universal completely. Also - if they want to go - they can always go to the one in Orlando - no back lot tour - but a much larger park.

Hollywood is a good central location - but a lot will depend on what they want to do while they are here and whether or not they will have a car.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,732 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggest an itenerary fit for a family with 4 kids(!)

I also think that Universal might be not the best place for kids your age. Most of the shows there involve explosions e.t.c that might would scare them

Enjoy a nice day by the beach for example. Santa Monica would come to my mind