We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Help

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Help

We'll be driving down 101 on a Monday in July and will eventually get on I-5 heading down to Carlsbad. I was thinking of spending the night either around Camarillo or else going over to Santa Clarita. Would the traffic be worse on a Tuesday morning taking 101 to 405 to I-5 or.....heading down I-5 from Santa Clarita?

If the Santa Clarita trip would be better, how bad it is from 101 to Santa Clarita on 126 in the afternoon or evening?

When does the traffic let up in the morning and what are the worst times in the afternoon?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Help

You don't mention where your starting point is, but if your are looking for a good place to layover before jumping into the traffic in the LA basin, Camarillo is good. Why are you considering Santa Clarita? Unless you have family of friends to stay with there, it will be taking you 30 or 40 minutes in the wrong direction.

I suspect that even our non-rush hour traffic will seem quite busy compared to Nebraska. You'll be traveling through some of the busiest freeway interchanges in north America. If you will be staying over in Camarillo, you could either get a very early start (6AM) or a more liesurly start and wait until after 9AM. From Camarillo, consider going down Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) rather than the 101. Take it through Malibu to Santa Monica. Pick up the 10East in Santa Monica then the 405 South all the way to the 5 south. It may not be a ton faster than the 101 but its a whole lot more interesting driving along the shoreline than through the San Fernando Valley. Camarillo to Carlsbad should be two and a half to three hours.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Help

Not a direct answer to your question but perhaps of some interest to you and Angelinos is at geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/LAdrive.html

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Help

You can not predict traffic the way you can not predict the weather. It could be smooth sailing or there could be an accident that clocks up the freeway

I am living right next to the 101 fwy(well, a couple of blocks) and sometimes there is no traffic during "rush hour" at 8 am but bumper to bumper at 9 pm.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Help

We are from the Bay Area but now live in Nebraska. We will be starting out from Salinas (spending the night there to get a little head start Monday morning.) I want to stop at Solvang for awhile because I like that place and haven't been there for several years. The only reason I thought of going over to Santa Clarita was because then we'd already be on I-5 if that was a better choice.

Two years ago I drove down from Belmont to Anaheim to take my grandson to Disneyland. My "BIG" mistake was stopping to get something to eat around 3:00 p.m. maybe around Thousand Oaks. All was well up to that point. We got back on the road (on a Friday afternoon of all times) and soon after it backed up almost all the way to Anaheim. The only good thing was that we weren't hungry. I think we pulled into Anaheim around 7:00 p.m.

I think I'll take VCSnowbird's advice about Highway 1.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Help

If you're already in Camarillo, why not stop in Santa Barbara and enjoy that gorgeous place for a bit instead?

6. Re: Traffic Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 02:18