We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo or Dollar

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo or Dollar

Hi All,

Has anyone rented a card through Alamo or Dollar at LAX?

What is their Customer Service like? Did anyone have any problems? Any good or bad experiences?

We are arriving at Terminal 2. How easy is it to get to the Alamo or Dollar depot, as I understand you don’t actually collect the car at airport?

Thanks in advance.

Klein, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo or Dollar

We found a screaming deal at Deluxe Rental Car. (www.deluxerentacar.com) It's a locally owned operation that had by far the best pricing around.

I've used both Alamo and Dollar and they're pretty easy to deal with - no real surprises. If I'm not mistaken, a bus takes everyone to the rental car terminal where all the agents have counters.

Good luck!

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo or Dollar

When in the US,i have always used www.alamo.com not that this is the us site and not the uk site but your ok to book on there and its probably better to do so. Dont forget to check out the special deals section first for deals and discount codes.

Also make sure you know what insurance your getting. It isnt as clear cut as UK insurance is.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo or Dollar

We rented through Alamo at christmas time. They have a shuttle bus/fleet of buses that services all termiinals. It takes you to the depot about 5 mins from LAX. Driver was a nice guy.

Customer service no problem, had to queue for about 20 mins but they had several people on the desk.

Counter guy was polite and courteous, had the satnav we had preordered, showed us how to work it etc.

Got to choose our own vehicle which was pretty cool I thought... and we ended up with a free upgrade, result!

Drop off very very easy- you pull up, they monitor the fuel, drive to a space and leace the keys in the car.... Then you hop back on the shuttle which again will service whichever terminal you wish.

All in all excellent experience I would say!

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo or Dollar

We have used Alamo with no problems but this year we are going with Dollar - I assume they are much of a muchness. We booked through Carhire3000 (or could be 2000) agency , considerably cheaper than booking direct.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo or Dollar

They are pretty much the same. I usually always go with enterprise, but that's just a personal preference. You should be fine and well taken car of with either company

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo or Dollar

As has been mentioned above both very similar, never had a problem, and used them both twice.

I tend to use a third party to book through - Airline Network for one way rentals, or autoeurope.com, who get better rates and will use usually one of the above!

This year it will be Alamo, via autoeurope.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo or Dollar

Thank you everybody once again for the replies. You all have provided very good info.

mi13ke - I have noticed Airline-Network to be cheaper as well. If you book with them (Airline-Network), do you get an instant confirmation? And I assume you just take the confirmation e-mail to the rental desk?

lesley - Can you please answer the same question as above, but for car3000.com? Also how do you know what company you are hiring through, because with Airline-Network they tell you the rental company name in advance (i.e. on the quote page)?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo or Dollar

TheLegend1,

Yes, you get an e mail response to your email account confirming vehicle type dates etc, and the supplier and location where you can collect your car from.

Take a copy of this with you, although you may not even need it.

Both Dollar and Alamo are in the main car rental area at LAX, and both have regular large shuttle busses running between the terminals and the rental locations.

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo or Dollar

This year i'm finding yescarhire.com to be the cheapest and they are using Alamo.

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo or Dollar

TheLegend1,

Yes, you get an e mail response to your email account confirming vehicle type dates etc, and the supplier and location where you can collect your car from.

Take a copy of this with you, although you may not even need it.

Both Dollar and Alamo are in the main car rental area at LAX, and both have regular large shuttle busses running between the terminals and the rental locations.