We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood sign

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood sign

Where is the best place to view and take photos of the hollywood sign? I'm staying on Franklin Ave can it be viewed from there?

Thanks

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood sign

When I went, I got a pretty good view from the top of Hollywood and Highland, a really cool mall that is slap bang in the centre of Hollywood.

It was where my Rough Guide LA book told me was a pretty good vantage point!

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood sign

Head east on franklin and then turn left onto Beachwood drive.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood sign

I agree with the Hollywood and Highland site. It's a nice view, framed with trees.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood sign

If you have a car (or are willing to travel on public transit), the BEST place to photograph the sign is a little secret of mine, Tim. I'll write it here in WHITE INK.

I hope you get some great pics.

(Ok, I think I've fooled the others).

Go to Barnsdall Park

http://www.barnsdallartpark.com/

If you get the opportunity to spend some time at the Park, take a tour of the Hollyhock House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright). If you're relying on public transit, you can either take a bus on Hollywood Bl or the red line metro rail (although you'll need to walk a little bit from the red line station). The park is at the top of a hill on the south side of Hollywood Bl, two blocks west of Vermont Av. There is a steep roadway up to the park or you can climb the huge staircase to the top. If you're on foot, you might want to spend some time there -- bring some 'take away' food, have lunch at the park, get some great UNOBSTRUCTED pics of the Hollywood sign AND the Griffith Observatory, take a tour of the Hollyhock House, and visit the Museum.

The address of the park is 4804 Hollywood Bl.

Shhh! I'm trying to keep this a secret.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood sign

From franklin you can drive towards Gower and go up the hill from there and get fairly close to the sign.

Hollywood/Highland Mall is probably the most convinient way to take some good pictures though

Boro
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood sign

We drove as far up into the hills as possible , we managed to get to the bottom of the hill the sign is on, just keep driving through the houses.

7. Re: Hollywood sign

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 08:19