We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

la beach/shop/sept

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
la beach/shop/sept

will the weather still be good enough to lie on the beach in spetember? if so which area would be the best with some decent bars for 30 yr old couple and also some reasonable shopping for her....abercrombie diesel etc all the stuff we bring back to europe for cheap!!!!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: la beach/shop/sept

Ordinarily, September is still 'beach weather'. Average 'high temps' (at the beach) in September are 22. Get forecasts at weather.com (10 days before departure). Once you identify the city that you are inquiring about, there is a link called "10 day" that will give you a 10-day forecast. There is also a link that will convert the temps to centrigrafe. (look for the 'metric' link).

Inalnd, high temps are 28 in September.

Santa Monica would be your best bet for shopping, bars, etc. (and a good beach).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: la beach/shop/sept

September is usually our warmest month, great beach weather. But, we can't predict.

Shopping is everywhere. Where are you staying? Will you have a car? If you shop at Macy's, you can get a nice percentage off your purchases (on that day), by going to Customer Service and showing your passport. This percentage off is even added to already sale items, sometimes giving you 70% off! There are Abercrombies everywhere, too - just depends where you're staying and where you plan to shop. Santa Monica has both a Macy's and AF, along with many more shops.

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: la beach/shop/sept

thanks for both those. santa monica appears to be the most expensive when i am looking at hotels. is it worth the extra money to stay in this area or are their other beach areas that would be slightly cheaper. we will have no car but foot and taxis no problem.

Level Contributor
35,916 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: la beach/shop/sept

Have you considered Laguna Beach? Check out the lagunabeach dot com website for great rates. Have fun! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: la beach/shop/sept

With waether patterns so funky lately i is difficult to predict but you should be ok. bring warmer clothes as well just in case.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: la beach/shop/sept

Laguna Beach, while lovely, is not convenient for LA sightseeing, nor does it have the shopping you seek (there's a nearby mall, about 20 minutes by car).

Santa Monica is more expensive because it's the beach and because you are also in LA. It has great shopping.

Will you have a car?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: la beach/shop/sept

sorry, just saw that you won't have a car. So other beach areas are out, if you want to shop and visit LA. Other beach areas, a car is necessary if you want to leave the area, but not SM, where you can take buses, easily.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,958 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: la beach/shop/sept

I have been on the beach on Halloween at the end of october, so you never know...

For what you are looking for, Santa Monica would easily be your best option. There are some hotels that are further from the beach which are less expensive(Yogachick should be able to help you with that, i know there is a best westerm somewere i think, what is the one with the ihop on Santa Monica Blvd)

If your hotel is close to Santa Monica Blvd or Wilshire Blvd, you have buses coming every couple of minutes to get you in a couple of minutes to the beach.

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: la beach/shop/sept

great help folks. will have a word with the bank manager and try to stretch to santa monica. as for the weather being freaky we have had over a month of heavy rain, bad even for Dublin!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,958 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: la beach/shop/sept

I think the least thing you have to worry about a vacation in L.A. is the weather