We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

Goshen, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

not sure if i will have enough credit on my cards to book hotels for my trip. Anyone know if most hotels accept CASH at check in,(when booking in advance w/ a credit card) but still put a "hold" on your credit card for incidentals? or do they just "keep your card on file" till you check out? Don't want to go the debit card route, either..bad experience once where i wasn't able to use my debit card for days because of a "hold"..

do all hotels differ in their policies?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

They do make an authorization on your card to cover any incidentals. I am sure you could use cash to pay for your room, but I am not sure whether they require a CC or not. Best bet in this situation would be to call the hotel and ask.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

I use my debit card with hotels all the time with no problem. The only thing to consider is that there is no such thing as "a hold" on a debit card. If the hotel wants to hold $150 for incidentals and you use a debit card, they will simply take $150 from your account upon check in. (It's not the hotel's policy; it is how debit cards work!).

When you check out (or sometime after that) the money will be returned to you. The reason that you couldn't use your card was because you didn't have enough money left in the account after "the hold" was executed. If you're worried about your debit card, just have the hotel use it to cover the cost of the room and have them place "the hold" on the credit card.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

They will have no problem taking cash for your stay. However, they will probably want it up front if you don't want to leave your credit card with them and allow it to have a potential hold on it. They may also require you to leave a cash deposit and personal information for incidentals. Every hotel will have their own policy, so it's best to contact the one you're staying directly.

Goshen, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

i think i might try that "pay by cash", but put whatever "hold" they want on the credit card. didn't think you could split the two costs between cards. and i will DEFINITELY call the hotel first before booking anything!!

5. Re: cash/credit cards for hotels at check in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:17