We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Mayo
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Hi, am planning to drive from Vegas to LA in October, and have a night to spare enroute, just looking for any fun suggestions as to where would be a good spot to stop off for a night on the way??..Is Death Valley out of the way? Thanks!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Yes, I would say Death Valley is out of the way.

The drive from Vegas to LA is pretty much desert with not many things in between to stop. It only takes about 4,5 hours, so you might just want to do this in one haul.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

spen the extra night in vegas

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

You won't want to stop anywhere. Spend the extra night in either Vegas or LA

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Death Valley is worth a look if you don't mind the extra drive. You can stay at one of the lodging places in Death Valley or drive out to Ridgecrest. I think the Death Valley forum might be useful for this.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

With an extra day I definitely would go Death Valley esp. in october. Great time of year. It's 2.5 hours from Las Vegas to Furnace Creek and you can see a fair bit of it before driving to LA but it will be a detour. Staying in Ridgecrest is a good suggestion. But also staying at Furnace Creek Ranch or Stovepipe Wells is good but means a longer drive to LA next day.

Tet

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

You could consider visiting the Mojave National Preserve (turn left at Baker), then stay the night in 29 Palms. The net day, visit Joshua Tree National Park on the way to Los Angeles.

They will be two full days, but they'll also be unforgettable.

so cali
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Death Valley is absolutely amazing, but out of the way.

Joshua Tree National Monument is also incredible, and certainly less of a detour. If you decide on Joshua Tree, and stay in Twentynine Palms, check out the Twentynine Palms Inn, which is reviewed on Trip Advisor.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Visiting Mojave National Preserve and drive to 29Palms via Amboy certainly is a great idea, but maybe better take exit 272 (Cima road)off I15 to Cima and to Kelso instead the Baker turn off. Great drive through the Joshua Trees to Cima and a visit to Kelso Depot and museum is a must stop. Also see Kelso Dunes just west of the visitor center. The direct drive (without stops) from Las Vegas to 29 Palms app.takes 4 hours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

I agree with leaving Vegas heading down past Hoover Dam and Boulder City, then around to Joshua Tree National Park since you have an extra day. Spend the night in Palm Springs after visiting Joshua Tree.

Mayo
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Vegas to LA...good overnight option ??

Thanks a million guys, plenty of info there for me to work on all sounds fab, think we are going to leave Vegas early on the Fri and choose one of the options given there, and head back to LA on Sat not flying back to Ireland until Sun so should be enough time!..Thanks again really appreciate it :)