We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will be there this Saturday!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Will be there this Saturday!

Hello everyone!

Finnally, time has passed and my first vacation in LA is just days away...

Any suggestions for Saturday and Sunday nights? (I was thinking about skybar and AREA) Also are sneakers allowed in clubs? (more like Puma's, Diesels, etc..)

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Hello Satyros,

My & my bf will be there next monday aswell, after waiting well over a year! Now its got this close it doesnt seem real, but im sure that will change on the day of departure.

As for clubs, i wouldn't think that sneakers would be allowed, as far as i've read its dress to impress to get into those sort of clubs, but Alex one of the local TA Expert will be able to give you info on what to wear, and also other tips on how to get in the clubs.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Same here! I booked my tickets more than 2 months ago and now that I can't wait untill I dip my feet into the Cali sand...

As for clubbing, you are right. I'd have to talk to Alex. I just wish it was like Europe... there EVERYONE wears sneakers to go out! Nice loafers have become a thing of the past, and every time I bring a pair, I never wear them...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Sneakers are not allowed for nightclubs and lounges. They're fine in sports bars and low key bars.

As a guy, you'll have a very hard time getting into Area, even if you're on the list, unless you come with girls, look great, and/or are willing to tip the bouncer or buy a table.

Sunday nights are not the most happening nights at clubs and many clubs are actually closed. You can contact Alex to see where he can put you on the list for Saturday. That will help with getting in. I would go to SkyBar on Sunday as it's more low key and easier to get into. No matter what, plan to arrive early, i.e. before 11pm, to any of these places and top notch.

Where are you staying? What kind of nightlife are you interested besides these two places? There are tons of places to check out. I would recommend going to a club in Hollywood on Saturday night. There are a bunch of clubs and some bars in one area, so if you don't get in or don't like the club, you can always head somewhere else nearby. On Sunday, stick to Sunset Strip where SkyBar is located. You can go there first and head to more laid back places like Red Rock and Cabo Cantina after, or even check out a band at the Viper Room.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Hi and thanks for replying.

I will be staying in WeHo. I am not concerned in getting into the hottest clubs, I do want to get into Skybar though... I can go to any bar/lounge as long as there are nice beutiful people and there is nice music....As for the rest, I just heard that AREA is very nice. I just don't want to drive around much at night time. Are there a bunch of clubs/lounges in the WeHo area? I'd like to go out one night in Hollywood too. What else do you recommend?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

I guess i should answer this post,lol. Diesel sneakers should be fine if you for example wear a dresshirt with a jacket(clubs love guys wearing jackets), otherwise i would not push it

Clubs like Area are mostly fun during the week as the "cool" locals come out. On weekends it is overrun with, ah man, how can i put it nice without offending anyone....the "office and oc crowd"

There I said it, i love the oc crowd and love my fellow office workers, only reason i mention it that the clubs get overwhelmed with crowds. Imagine a 600 people capacity club like Area get swamped with 2000+ peole on a saturday night. There will be mayem at the door. I do that spot on thursdays and we get about 800 thru the door with roughly 800 people showing up, so these places will be easier to conquer on a weekday(Plus area is only twice a month on sun i think when it is a gay night)

I am part of some fun clubs on fri/sat/sun, nothing a-list really but they are fun clubs in hollywood(fri/sat) and west hollywood on sunday. So i can hook you up with that if you like. Just message me on here, i am sure you will have a blast there

As for Skybar, have not been there in years. It was a hot spot in the late 90's , so dont expect some celebs but it still will take not away from the incredible views and cool bar that it actually is. Dont think it would be to hard to get into it unless they have a private/special event going on

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Which hotel in West Hollywood are your staying at? I'm assuming on Sunset Strip?

SkyBar is still popular. I still go there as I work down the street. The views are amazing. It's not as hard as it once was to get in, but I would still go on a Sunday. Since it's at a hotel, it's open long hours. So you can even get there at like 8-9pm and stay for a couple hours before heading elsewhere on Sunset Strip. The hotel is also under renovation right now, so they are more welcoming.

On Sunset Strip, Red Rock has great happy hours 5-7pm and Cabo Cantina's not bad either. Both are down the street and I would recommend them for what you're looking for.

Area is a "hotspot", so thus the hassle at the door. You'll encounter this at most clubs, especially on weekend nights. For your needs, you don't really need to go to nightclubs, though you should probably check one out. Go with whichever one Alex can put you on the list for as I mentioned to make it less of a hassle. You can always leave and check out all the other places around it.

You don't need to drive for nightlife since you're staying in West Hollywood. It's a $10 cab ride to Hollywood, 10 mins away. You'll spend the same on parking there and won't be able to drink. Sunset Strip is in West Hollywood, so you're probably already staying there and can walk to all the places in the area.

In Hollywood, the laid back bars are the Well, Big Wangs, Star Shoes, The Room, and a bunch of others. Hotel Cafe is a small music venue/bar that always has a good crowd. You can walk between all these places in Hollywood. They're all in the same few blocks. Do this on Saturday when it's most happening.

Once again, on Sunday, do Sunset Strip going to SkyBar and other places I mentioned above. Bar Marmont is a good idea as well. You'll see a few others when walking between these. Viper Room is a classic and is a small music venue and a bar, so I would highly recommend stopping in there for a bit.

The only thing you have to remember is that dancing is mostly at the nightclubs and in Hollywood. Red Rock has a dance room on Saturdays and The Standard has it on the weekends - these are on Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. In Hollywood, it's at the nightclubs. There are some bars with dancing elsewhere, but not somewhere you can walk to when you're in these two areas. They're isolated places around town like Busby's on Wilshire Blvd a 10 min cab ride away.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply! I trully apreciate your suggestions. I think I will go to Skybar on Sunday to check out the views and on Saturday I'll try the bars on Sunset strip. Any suggestions for Tuesday night in Hollywood?

Thanks

8. Re: Will be there this Saturday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 07:35