We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Nightlife

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
LA Nightlife

Hey there

Have been reading the forums for a while but never posted before.

A friend and I are off to LA at the end of august for just over 2 weeks. We are booked first to stay at the Custom Hotel. Has anyone been there before and could recommended any good bars to checkout round that area and also if its close to the Hollywood nightscene?

Were also going to Las Vegas for 4 nights then heading back to LA for another week but not sure where were statying for the last week. Anyone know the best hollywood clubs during the week?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,591 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Nightlife

Just message me and i hook you up with some spots in Hollywood. The Custom Hotel is nowere near Hollywood or even any interesting, it is on an ugly stretch of Lincoln Blvd. Any reason you choosed that hotel(unless you are going to check out Loyola, there is nothing really of interest in the area)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Nightlife

Will you have a car? You'll need one.

Otherwise, just take the bus up Lincoln and hang out at bars in Santa Monica, and there are many (Venice, too). On Washington, there are lots of bars, from upscale Beechwood to dive bar The Whaler (at the beach). On Abbot Kinney there's the Brig and Otheroom. Up on Main Street, there's bar after bar after bar. Santa Monica gets more upscale (and pricier), but there's even more. On Lincoln, there's Air Conditioned for dancing. On Main, Hidden has dancing and so does Bar Copa. In SM on 5th, there's Zanzibar.

A taxi is about $15 each way to Venice, about $20 to SM.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,395 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Nightlife

The Custom House is next to LAX in a boring neighborhood. If you can change your reservation, I would do so.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Nightlife

Another vote to change your hotel. You're in an isolated relatively industrial area at least a 25 min drive to any area with bars (Santa Monica's Main Street is closest). It's a good 40-45 min drive to Hollywood, i.e. a $50 cab each way if you're drinking. There are a couple restaurants across the street. Otherwise, there is nowhere to walk to. If you stay there, you definitely need a car.

Are you guys or girls? That makes a big difference on getting into nightclubs in Hollywood. Also, "best" is relative. Clubs that are hard to get into are not necessarily "best". In LA, I would suggest you concentrate on going to places with the scene that you like, especially if you don't love the hassle at the door.

It sounds like you're in LA for quite a while since you're coming back for an entire week as well. I would stay in one part of LA during the first stay and another part of LA during the next. Two main areas are Hollywood inland area and Santa Monica beach area. Both have nightlife, though Santa Monica is more about bars than nightclubs. Hollywood is where most nightclubs are located.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA Nightlife

thanks for the advice guys. Just to let you know we are both guys, im 24 and my friend is 21. We werent sure of any areas when booking the hotels but his idea was to chill out for the first 3 days at the custom then head to Las Vegas, we will have a car for the whole time. Then once back in LA check out the nightlife but I have no idea where the second hotel is, and didnt know the custom was so isolated!

Weve got a few things booked already like seeing the Angels v Yankees and LA galaxy and are planning to visit Disneyland and Universal.

I'll have to check the location and see if we can cancel and get something nearer to what was suggested.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA Nightlife

You can usually change hotels up to 3 days in advance or so. If that is the case, check out the following options in a more convenient area. You should stay inland on the days you're planning to visit Universal Studios, Dodger's Stadium, and Anaheim (Disneyland etc) and in the beach area during the other part of your stay (I would advise to do this on the first 3 nights as it's a more relaxing destination, which is what you're looking for for the first part).

Beach area (prices vary..I'm assuming you're looking to spend arund $150-200 since that's how much Custom Hotel costs..though you should up it for better areas as they're more expensive): Viceroy, Cadillac Hotel, Holiday Inn Santa Monica, Inn by Venice Beach, Best Western Jamaica

Inland: Best Western Sunset Plaza, the Roosevelt, The Grafton, Hyatt on Sunset, Magic Castle

7. Re: LA Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 10:16