We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Rental at LAX?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Rental at LAX?

We haven't yet rented a car so I'd like to do that ASAP. We need to pick it up at LAX first thing Monday morning and drop off Saturday night so we'll need it for 6 days. Husband wants to get a Charger or Mustang. Any suggestions which is the best company to go with?

Thanks in advance!

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

Hertz rental cars is a huge company and very professional. They are a reliable and trusted brand that rents Ford Mustangs and a variety of other fun cars.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

Just got back from LA. We rented a Mustang convertible with GPS from Enterprise at LAX. Found the whole Enterprise experience to be smooth and easy. Enterprise ranks high in customer satisfaction, which is why I went with them, plus their reasonable rates.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

Dollar and Thrifty both offer Dodge Chargers, btw.

But, before renting, you need to determine whether your Canadian car insurance covers your USA rental, else you'll need to purchase supplemental insurance from the rental agency (which is quite expensive). Call your insurance company to find out.

People from England, for example, typically rent from a travel agency that gives them a package including all necessary insruance bundled in -- I have no idea whether you'll need to do the same.

With all that said, I rent out of LAX twice a year and here's what I do:

1. I find that Hertz & Avis are always the most expensive, so I never rent from them (though I once got an Avis rental via Priceline)

2. I stick with what I consider to be the national chains that are a tier below Hertz & Avis, ie, National, Thrifty, Dollar, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise (actually, Enterprise is very, very large, but they only recently went after airport business; also note that Dollar & Thrifty are the same company but may offer different rates). I go to one of the travel sites like yahoo and plug in my requirements so I can do a side-by-side comparison of companies that are acceptable to me.

3. I take those rates and see if I can do better on the company's own web sites. My rental last summer scored me a 10% discount by using Amex with Thrifty

4. I join the company's "club" which does not generally get you better rates but does get you into a shorter line when you pick up the car. You can usually do this online and it costs nothing for most companies

5. I rent from whoever is cheapest among those companies that are accptable to me

6. I have used priceline in the past, bidding a few dollars/day less than the rate I got on my own. Ususally, priceline cannot match my rate. I won't use priceline just to save a buck a day, I prefer to give my business to a company that gives me a good rate from the start. But a few dollars a day on a 2 week rental......

7. I keep checking as my trip approaches and if rates go down (which has happened) I book a new reservation and cancel the old one. Be sure to check again just before you leave

8. Rent on a credit card that covers you for collision damaage -- Amex and all the gold & silver mastercard/visa do this (call your cc company to if in doubt). This basically covers the deductuable amount from on your own car insurance as the cc insurance is secondary to your personal insurance.

9. Never buy a full tank of gas from the rental company. This is a terrible deal unless you somehow manage to return the car on dead empty

Be advised that taxes and fees will increase your LAX rental by over 30%!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

- You are not usually guaranteed a specific car when you rent. It's going to be that or something similar.

- Any major company is fine. Every one has an office at LAX.

- If you want the best deal, rent via Hotwire.com. It'll be cheaper than going directly through the company. Not 100% sure if you can guarantee a car type that way. Check.

- Major companies include Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, Thirfty, Dollar, etc

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

^^^^

I do know Hertz says when you book a Mustang, you get a Mustang. It is part of the "Fun Collection" at Hertz. Vehicles in the Pretige Collection (Audis, Mercedes, Lincolns, etc..) and Fun Collection (Mustangs, Corvette, Hummer, etc...) are a premium over the regular rentals and they guarantee you the car you book. Basically, you book a Mustang, you get a Mustang.

The regular rentals such as a "Midsize", "Full Size", "Regular SUV," etc... will say something like "Mazda 6 or similar" or "Ford Explorer or similar," but not with Hertz's Mustang.

6. Re: Best Rental at LAX?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 11:23