We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

natural history museum vs page museum

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
natural history museum vs page museum

Hi,

We're considering going to either the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles or the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits on our next visit to LA with my daughters (4 and 1). The 4 year old is very into science and dinosaurs and bugs.

From the web sites, it sounds like the Natural History Museum is a better choice....anyone been to both and care to comment? TripAdvisor ranks the Page Museum higher in terms of things to do...

thanks

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

Page Museum is very nice - but on the small side. It has many fossils - but NOT dinosaurs. They are from the ice age time and are of saber tooth tigers, woolly mammoths. In the immediate area are many other museums as well as being close to the Grove shopping center.

The Natural History Museum is much larger with a wider variety of science exhibits. It is next to the LA Science Museum which is also very nice. Those two museum are just south of downtown LA next to USC. The Natural History Museum has some dinosaurs bones as well as many other exhibits, including a nice gem and mineral display that my kids have enjoyed and a kids area where they can dig for fake fossils, explore all sort of living and dead bugs, and more.

For a 4 year old - I would pick the Natural History Museum if you are only doing one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

Personally I think the Natural History Museum is more for 6 or 7 yrs and up, and especially attractive to 10/11 year olds...but if your 4 year old is a little scientist then it might be a good choice especially since the Museum of Science and Industry is next door.

Page Museum is all bones and fossils, but I think the 4 year old would love the "slugs" and stories touring the Tar Pits. When our kids were younger they enjoyed the Page, but returned several times to the Tar Pits without bothering again with the Page. You could easily fit in the Tar Pits only with just an hour, especially say on an early Sunday morning when parking is a cinch.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,395 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

L.A. Science Center? No such thing!

Museum of Science & Industry? A great museum (truly) but located in Chicago!

The museum adjacent to the Natural History Museum in L.A. is the California Science Center.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

Definitely go with Natural History. Like the others say, the Page has no dinosaurs and the displays are not as visually appealing to small kids (mine were bored by the Page at that age, though when they got older and we went through it with the guide they turned around).

When we were there in July, the dinosaur exhibits were closed for renovation. However, the dioramas were still open and my kids have alwasys LOVED them.

I do think your kids are too young for the Science Center, though

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

That's correct, it is now the California Science Center. It was called the Museum of Science and Industry from 1951 up until 1987.

Northern California
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

The 4 year old's favorite books and videos are the Magic School Bus - I think the target audience is around 8 - so I think she's up to the Natural History Museum. We might swing by the tar pits if we have time, but it is a short stop in LA on a road trip.

Thanks for the advice!

Northern California
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

Ahh, one funny note. The California Science Center that was mentioned by wrong name - in my AAA tourbook for 2008 on the LA attraction map it is called the California Scenic Center...I thought it was a museum for photographs!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

The Natural History Museum I think is a much better choice. It is on the larger side and you will get more out of the experience.

9. Re: natural history museum vs page museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 18:19