We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

Okay, we will be in the LA area for 4 nights and have found decent rates at the above mentioned hotels and I need to make a decision. The El Segundo RI would be a bit cheaper ($189 vs. $218 per night coming to a total difference, inc tax, etc, of $143 for the 4 nights) but it's not a huge difference. They are both 2 BDR/2 BA places, but the MB RI is a penthouse suite vs. an actual 2 BDR. The manager at the ES RI called me herself (great service!) to offer me a great rate on a 2 bDR, but they are under going renovations (8:30-6 while we are there...not really impacting our sleep and they will be working on the floor above us when they are working, hopefully, not impacting us too much!). All amenities are still available to us during our stay.

We are coming to area, mainly, see son at Jeopardy taping (Culver City) but want to hit Manahattan Beach, Santa Monica, and see the "sights" that all tourists want to see their 1st time in LA. Between the taping schedule and traffic, seeing the "sights could be quite the challenge! (I've already ready thru HopSkip's itineraries and have flexible a "plan".) We have a car rental setup. Our travels include an 11 YO son, as well.

So, should I just go with the best rate or is one RI definitely better than the other?

Thanks in advance for input!

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Culver City
Culver City
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

When is this trip?

I wouldn't recommend staying in El Segundo, not at all. Manhattan Beach is much nicer, but you're still about 45 minutes from the sights you list that you want to see, at least 45 minutes. More, to Hollywood.

You're better off using Hotwire and getting something like the Angelino, which is within your budget. Or choose something on Hotwire in the 3star range in the Beverly Hills area.

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,225 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
1,257 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,316 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

There is nothing wrong with the El Segundo RI, I've been inside the rooms, but the MB location is better. You can walk to restaurants and shops from there, and the beach/pier is only a mile away. Your 11 year old should like it. I've stayed several times in the MB, RI and they are really friendly there too, plus the meals served, of which I'm sure you are aware of for a family.

With the 105 & 405 freeways at your fingertips, you can be where you want very easily. Just don't leave at work commute times.

Let us know when your son appears on Jeopardy, we watch it every night, and will root for him. Culver City is very near.

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Culver City
Culver City
California
west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

Because of the way the Residence Inns are set up....I would think that someone just above you all day long, doing construction, would be a real drag. And they probably start walking in around 7am, not 8.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,541 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

Be prepared to do a fair amount of driving if you choose one of the two choices you've offered. El Segundo and Manhattan Beach (which are next to one another) are both south of LAX. This places them in an area known as "the south bay" -- a series of cities that are south and west of the city of L.A. (for the most part). Not only are you 'far away' from things but you'll have to fight the traffic that is heading in and out of LAX (which is on-going).

Our 'commuter hours" are from 6:00 to 9:00 in the morning and from 3:00 to 7:00 in the afternoon/evening. From 9:00 to 10:00 am, all of the tourists (and locals who are not working '9 to 5)' hit the road, so the traffic doesn't really subside until 10 or so. Four hours later, the afternoon rush begins as tourists and locals "head home" before the commuters. So, if you're planning on spending only 4 hours per day touring than the south bay shouldn't be a problem for you. (Alternatively, you could stay 'in town" until 7 p.m. every day.

Re: the two hotels, my feeling is: "It's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other". The two neighborhoods are not that far apart (6 or 8 minutes by car). Neither hotel is "at the beach" (the only reason to stay in the south bay, in my opinion). The commute from the South Bay to Culver City during rush hour is going to take a while only 10 to 12 miles (depending on the hotel you pick), you would be 'hard pressed to make it the studios in 30 minutes during rush hour. In addition to passing by LAX traffic and 'commuter traffic', you then have to drive through Culver City which is a quagmire of traffic -- most of the day.

If it were me, I'd shoot for a hotel in Beverly Hills. There's a Residence Inn on Pico Bl at Beverly Drive -- just 3 miles from the studios. It's also quite convenient to Santa Monica -- just 8 miles away. The Tar Pits are just 2-1/2 miles from the Residence Inn -- BH. (BTW, the name of the hotel notwithstanding, the property is actually adjacent to the city of Beverly HIlls (and IN Los Angeles). Or, look at the Crowne Plaza that is adjacent to it or the Beverly Hills Tower. You will pay more to be in this area for the reasons mentioned above,

You wanted "simple". Are you prepared to pay for it?

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,225 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Culver City
Culver City
California
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
1,257 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

Manhattan Beach is a much nicer and more upscale area. So out of those 2, it would be hands down the better option.

When are you going on this trip? This makes a big difference since these areas are quite out of the way. It's nice to stay there if it's beach weather, but be prepared to spend a lot time commuting to the rest of LA.

If you have the option, Marina del Rey would be cheaper than Santa Monica (which is most convenient) and more conveniently located for commuting. Embassy Apts in Santa Monica are in this price range and would be a much better option in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,225 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,316 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

"Plan is to stay at Anaheim hotel for 2 nights and then move to LA hotel (Mahattan Beach Residence Inn) for 4 nights where we meet up with 21, 23 and 25 yo sons at LAX. ..was chosen because of the Jeopardy taping, which takes place in Culver City (Sony studios), which I believe is ~12.5 miles (hoping trip will be under 30 min during non rush hour) from MB Residence Inn (which was chosen as we need to sleep 3-5 family members any given night AND oldest son lived in Playa Del Ray for a year and he really felt we would enjoy this area)"

Listen to your oldest son. He knows the area, the traffic and freeways, and your kids in their 20's would love it in Manhattan Beach the end of August.

Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
105 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Culver City
Culver City
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,225 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
7. Re: Residence Inn: Manhattan Beach or El Segundo??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 06:21