We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

We have a few people on TA who will claim that the public transportation system is as safe as driving in your car.

Note the comments by locals...the people who actually live there:

…latimes.com/homicidereport/2008/09/compton-…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

Oh please, why do you always bring up random incidents. Take into consideration that the blue line is the busiest light trainline in the country with over 30000+boardings each day. With that many people something will happen sometimes. Chances are that they are not.

Your chances that you are killed driving in your car are much higher. So do you want me to post everytime someone got shot, hit by another car, killed or run over on this messageboard? Then we would have no other topics on here.

Please stop your random propaganda against public transportation. Millions of people take it each and every week, including myself and are alive to tell about it. If it is not for you, fine, but please dont scare visiting tourists with your random irrelevent postings

I meet tourists all the time in the train or bus and they are perfectly fine

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

Alex, the LA Times is a huge, long-time supporter of public transportation in Los Angeles.

This is not about an isolated incident. Read the comment from the people who live there, the people who see what's going on down there every day.

Personally, rather than be politically correct, I prefer to give visitors advice that will keep them safe and aware. Happy talk isn't helpful.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

But can I take it to the Getty Villa in Malibu on it?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

First off, tourists most likely will not take the blue line unless they want to visit Long Beach

Second, we mostly talk about bus/subway in the westside of l.a. aka hollywood/beverly hills/downtown/universal, even the goldline to pasadena. All perfectly fine to take

Third, this was an isolated incident. Thousands of people take that line every day and are perfectly fine

Fourth, it's a blog. So the comments come from people who are probably just like yourself and never actually took the line but use it to vent off there stereotypes. When someone posts something online does not make it a fact

On the other post, you would need a bus that takes you to the getty villa, blue line is far far from it,lol

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

"When someone posts something online does not make it a fact."

I'll keep that in mind when reading your posts, Alex.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

Please do so, i post suggestions that you more then welcome to dissagree with

At least i post from my experience and dont make up my mind by a blog and telling people that public transportation is unsafe without even taking it

7. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2008, 00:49
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

Alex, where did you get the idea that I never take public transportation?

I rarely take it, but I do check it out from time-to-time to see how it is.

Some of us don't just spout opinions. We base our posts on personal experiences and we reference reliable sources such as the LA Times, the paper of record in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

That coming from a person who stated on these boards that only "illegals and homeless people" take public transportation.

I have no interest going back and forth with you on this. I think this thread should be closed as it does not serve any purpose. To blow an isolated incident out of proportion is a joke.

Fine if you dont like taking a bus or subway but please let the rest of us enjoy it as we do each and every day aswell as the thousand of visitors do so in our city

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Advisory: LA's Blue Line Not Safe

The statement by the LA Times that people were killed at a Blue Line station is fact. The "comments by locals...the people who actually live there" is at most, an opinion, so it doesn't matter if it was published on the LA Times website, the federal government's website, or a blog.

Furthermore, there are no entry requirements to posting a comment--the people may be locals, they may not be. Nothing is verified or fact-checked. Just because they say they live there doesn't make it true. I could go make a comment that I live 2 blocks from that station and I take the Blue Line every day and have never had a problem. Would that make it true?

Nope.