We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

We are contemplating a family trip to California to celebrate my mother in laws 70th birthday...there are potentially 15 people traveling including children ages 2-10 (4 of them ) and then the rest of us are in our late 30's early 40's...

While researcing rental homes on the coast it seems that Redondo and Hermosa are really nice areas with family friendly locales...that said, we are having a difficult time locating a home that can fit all of us...I have however found one home that can accomodate all of us but it is in Long Beach in the Penisula area if that means anything...personally the area does not look as nice but I cant really tell...I would appreciate advice on then nicer more laid back, family friendly areas in the LA county beach region...

We also found nice homes in Manhattan Beach but again would need to rent two homes near each other like in Redondo and Hermosa.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

If you're looking to get out a lot during the day to sightsee, visit museums, see Hollywood, Univ Tour or whatever, then Manhattan Beach is a lot better than Long Beach.

If you're looking for just laid-back and house time/ beach time...consider Hollywood Beach in Oxnard Pt. Hueneme(on a map it's near Ventura). It's a smaller community and a bit secluded, with a 50 min drive into Los Angeles. You are more likely to find something right on the beach or a block from the beach in this area, though I'm not sure about something the size that you desire.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

Hi, Lisa

You haven't specified your budget for the home rental but keep in mind that most homes at or near the beach are modest in size. (The beach homes here are not like you see in the movies except for a relatively few, select communities). So, the likelihood of finding a house that sleeps 15 (and has enough bathrooms for all of you) is going to be difficult, (and expensive!).

I would be content to rent two homes. (After being together all day, I doubt you'll miss each other if you're 5 or 10 minutes apart while you're sleeping. And, having 2 homes with, say, 3 bathrooms each will be a lot better than, say, one house with 4 baths.

What are your travel dates?

What is your nightly budget?

How many beds/bedrooms do you need?

Where have you been looking for rentals? (which neighborhoods and which online rental services)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

Manhattan Beach might be a better choice of the SoBay cities because it is closer to the freeways, for you to get around to see other sites.

It's a nice family oriented town for your group, great beach, pier, restaurants and shops. Really nice parks and activities for the young ones, and interesting for the 70 year old and 30-40s, too. If you book, let us know and more details can be given.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

thank you everyone for all the advice given...i have noticed that lots of the home are not that big...here on the east coast its easy to find a 5 bedroom for some reason...i guess because they knock the nice little ones down and build McMansions...unfortunately...

but our timeframe to visit is not until next year around christmas (i know i like to plan ahead but with a group this large we need to) so we are planning on the Parade of Roses and perhaps the bowl my MIL has always wanted to go...so being close to freeways is good...so Manhattan beach may be the best bet.

we need at least 6 bedroom and at least 3 baths.

our budget is probably 6k total for the week on the rental but we prefer to keep it as much under 5 as possible..I am checking out VRBO, Great Rental.com, Hang 10 Getaways, Deluxe Beach Rentals, Jet Living, Cyber rentals etc...

Alot of these places have the same homes...

We would like to be like on the beach walk being on a road that leads to the beach but not necessarily beach front since it wont be warm anyway...Being off the beach by a block or two will make it less windy I would assume.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

Less windy? No. Don't concern yourself with wind.

Rose Parade in Pasadena is about an hour from Manhattan Beach, which is where you'll find larger homes. Also Hermosa and Redondo. You won't find anything in Santa Monica in that budget (maybe double that), and nothing that large in Venice. Consider getting two condos?

Beach homes aren't as large here. I doubt you'll find anything of that size, in that budget.

Prices will most likely drop, I would plan this later in the year.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

That is correct, a lot of the homes are not that big, comparred to the east coast. Beach cities were built up after WW2 when small bungalow homes were built near the beach. Today it is prime property.

Homes on the boardwalk in the So Bay are on, "The Strand". The homes back from The Strand, are on property called, "Walk Streets".

Next Dec. you want to attend the Tournament of Roses Parade.

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/

I'm not connected in any way, but found this one which sleeps 12. It's going to be hard to find one house for all 15. You budget is fine, even for a house on The Strand. Being closer to the middle of town and the Pier would be around 12th Street.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p222880

These sleep 8.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p178782

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p200170

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

I actually have found alot for our pricerange that are really nice on the walkway and even on the strand...none that will sleep all of us but like 2 homes for 6k or 7 for the week. Even if we have to go to 7k its fine. But I like "deals" and going for the cheapest/nicect thing I can find...ha ha..

I noticed that Santa Monica didnt have much the prices were RIDIC and it seems that Manhattan Beach is the best for what our plans are...to get out and see things...

CaNative you are so sweet to take the time to find some homes for us! Thanks so much!

Lisa

Connecticut
Level Contributor
352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

I noticed that you are willing to go quite high in price for a house rental for a week. Have you looked into booking three or four 2 bedroom suites at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach. You get breakfast included and have a full kitchen to cook in if you so desire. You aren't far from the beach area and there are good parks that you could walk to for the kids to play. You can walk to the Manhattan Village where there is a grocery store, shops and restaurants and banks. I would consider this. You get daily maid service, an exercise room and a pool and hot tubs in several locations on the property.

9. Re: Large Family trip to LA county Beaches...which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 15:20