We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to San Francisco

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
LA to San Francisco

We are flying into LAX and had planned on staying in the Los Angeles area for enire length of our trip (10 days). My husband suggested that maybe we stay in San Francisco for 4 or 5 days. How far is San Francisco from LA? We have no problems renting a car.

Thanks for any help!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to San Francisco

It's about 8 hours by car, or a 50 minute flight. They cost about the same (gas vs ticket).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to San Francisco

Ah, but there is so much to see between the 2 cities:

Santa Barbara

Pismo Beach

San Luis Obispo

Highway 1 offers:

Hearst Castle

Big Sur

Monterey

Santa Cruz

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to San Francisco

A car is very convenient in Los Angeles and of course in driving up the coast to San Francisco. However, in San Francisco, it is better to stay in Union Square after first dropping off your car. For the trip north, I would recommend having lunch in Santa Barbara, then checking in your lodging in the small town of Cambria on Highway 1. You would then have time for an afternoon and/or evening tour of Hearst Castle (see www.hearstcastle.com for info and reservations).

The second day, head up highway 1 seeing the very scenic Big Sur area, Carmel, the 17 mile drive to Monterey, then I would take Highway 17 to San Jose to San Francisco.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to San Francisco

Thank you everyone! Seeing that it is an eight hour drive, I think we will pass. I did not realize that it was that far. Maybe we will check out some locations that are in between.

5. Re: LA to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 22:16