We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

Hi all! I would like some advice since this is my absolute first time in the United States, and Los Angeles. I will be arriving at LAX at 7pm and have to get to Vegas on the next day.

I am NOT considering Greyhound but am considering Southwest but the price seems a bit steep.

A couple of questions:

1. Would renting a car be for a day and driving to Las Vegas to dump it be cheaper or is flying cheaper?

2. Is it reccommended I drive to Las Vegas from LAX if this is my first time driving here?

3. Is it easy to drive to Las Vegas? I'm not the best of drivers...

4. Is it safe driving to there?

5. Can you guys recc some good car rental agencies that allow me to hire from LAX for one day and dump it in Las Vegas once I get there? I'm pretty bad at finding sites and all the options and check boxes on sites give me a headache.

Thanks guys I know very little and going in this blind right now. Appreciate any help I can get!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

My guess is that it would be cheaper to fly than to rent a car for a day and drive. Southwest charges $59 to fly to Las Vegas from LAX. By car, Las Vegas is around 300 miles distance. That's likely to be at least $30 in petrol, at least, plus the rental fee - I'd guess you'd be looking at $50 for a one day car rental with pickup at LAX and drop off in Las Vegas, so figure $80 minimum to drive. Flying is also quicker - Vegas is about 5 hours by car, flying is less than 1 hour (plus time at the airport).

If you're comfortable driving on the highway / freeway, you'll be fine doing this drive as 90% is long stretches of freeway and highway.

Most of the big national chains will let you rent in LA and drop off in Vegas. Try any of these sites to get started:

http://www.thrifty.com/

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do

www.nationalcar.com/…

http://www.budget.com

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

I don't understand the logic behind flying into LAX, driving to Vegas the next day, and not returning. Why not just fly directly into Vegas?

Southwest is $53 ($67 after taxes and fees).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

Flying makes the most sense unless you would need a car in Las Vegas. Then renting the car at LAX and having it to drive around Vegas would be cheaper.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,093 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

Of course, you could fly from LAX to LAS (Las Vegas) and then rent a car in Vegas. I believe the car rental rates are less expensive in Las Vegas than in L.A.

But, I'm with the previous poster: Just fly directly into LAS from home.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

Southwest often has fare sales and this is when you have to pounce. Not sure when your trip is, but fare sales are usually for trips starting 14 days from now up until about 60 days from now. Whether flying is cheaper than driving depends on how many people.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

phaminator: I got a good deal from London to Los Angeles strictly thus I am flying to Las Vegas first.

Me and my girlfriend are sharing the cost of the car rental. Does that make it more worth it to drive or is flying to LV still a better option?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

is the savings flying to LAX + car rental fees + gas + extra time driving >> cost of flying directly to Vegas? Also consider whether the car rental company you're planning to use charges a one-way drop-off fee.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

If there's two of you, that changes the economics a bit... now flying costs $134 (based on previous poster's statement of $67 to Vegas on Southwest Airlines) - a car will probably be a bit less - again am guessing $80 for rental fee + gas (but not sure what additional fees you might be charged being from the UK for insurance, etc.). So flying is probably a bit more expensive but will save you a few hours. The drive to Vegas is about 5 hours, mostly through the desert... a lot of folks find this to be a boring drive however I've also read on the forum that since there isn't much in the way of deserts in the UK, a lot of UK residence rather enjoy it.

9. Re: Advice on renting a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 20:18