We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can it be done in a day and a half

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can it be done in a day and a half

Hi,

I'm going to LA with my family for 2 and a bit days in July. We're travelling across California. Is it poss to see most of what there is to see in LA in one and a half days do you think? Our other day is taken up by Universal Studios. And if not, what should we focus on?

I'd love to hear from you.

Michelle

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

Short answer is no. There are many things to see in the Los Angeles area and they are spread out, so the travel time (rental car is recommended) has to be taken into consideration. I cannot recommend what you should see because I don't know your interests. I would suggest that you purchase a Los Angeles or California guide book and then you could ask more specific questions. For example, you could ask about the Huntington Library, or the two Gettys or La Brea Tar Pits and Page Museum or Disneyland area, or the beaches or Hollywood (besides Universal) etc.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13,728 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

I have been living here close to 20 years and have not seen it all, so answer is "no"

That said, you dont need an entire day at Universal. You probably could combine the park with a trip to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. So that would give you an extra day to explore the city, even check out the beach areas of Santa Monica and Venice

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

In a word, no.

Start by taking a look at our FAQs (at the top of the LA forums), we have sample one and two day itineraries there.

I will tell you that you can see Universal and all the Hollywood sights in the same day. With that extra day and a half, you can focus on Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Venice... but you'll be tight for time. I hope you have a car.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

No, it is not possible. Nor is it reasonable to presume you could and I'm being charitable here.

What you ought to focus on depends upon you and what your interests are. It sounds like to me you don't have any knowledge of Los Angeles and are not inclined to make the effort to find out.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

Michelle , there are twice as many people in Los Angeles county as you have in the entire COUNTRY of Scotland! In other words, it's a big place!

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

Oh I'm obviously so ignorant compared to you. I've been to your country. Have you been to mine? You do that, then you tell me that I'm ignorant about other countries. I just never get to go abroad with a young family and no money - pardon me for wanting to soak up as much as I possibly can.

Why bother sending insults to me? If everyone in LA is like you, I'd prefer not to come.

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

To those of you who gave me great advice without insulting me or my country - thank-you, I'll take it all on board.

It's a trip of a life-time for me and my family and I suppose it's a bit of a whistle-stop tour.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

Sadly, I was given so many insults last year on these forums when planning a trip to California.....I cancelled everything and we went to Florida instead. Spent my hard earned tourist money elsewhere.

Now, we are considering a trip into the Hollywood area. I'm just reading things to 'help myself' and not really asking questions. I am already expecting the people I encounter while we're there to also be rude.

Obviously , you know that LA is huge. It's not the only huge city in the world. (Though some may think so).

There are a lot of 'sights' offered that I don't care to ever see. We don't do musuems, etc. So, my answer is YES, you probably can see a lot of things in your short time there. I am like you, I like to cram stuff in. See & Do as much as possible while I'm vacationing.

I am obiously not from California, but let me give you a few hints that I've come across.

If you stick to the LA area (don't try doing San Diego too, etc) then you'll lose less time traveling.

Take the Hop On Hop Off tour by Starline tours (www.starlinetours.com). It makes continuous loops around some of the touristy stuff. Rodeo Drive, Chinese Theatre, Santa Monica, Universal, etc. Yesterday, someone helpful did tell me that you can get off the tour at stop 5, catch the metro bus and end up at the beach. A family ticket for 48 hours is only $125. You can get on & off at any of the stops as many times as you want in that 48 hours. If you want to do some side tours while at each stop, it is extra $. I think most areas can be explored on your own. With a short time, I think the tour would give you a lot. I agree that you could probably do Universal in part of a day, then do something else.

If you have a daughter.....The Grove shopping area (one of the stops also on the Hop on Hop Off tour) has an American Girl Place store. (www.americangirl.com). It is an awesome doll store. We have lots of their stuff and have been to the stores in Chicago & New York for girls' day out. Check it out. Maybe have dinner there & do some shopping.

Good luck. I hope that you find most Americans to be helpful, kind, and welcoming. If not, come to Missouri, we know about hospitality. I think your 'trip of a lifetime' will be wonderful. I live here, and have never been 'across the country'. Have fun !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

I don't see that the responses you got were "insulting". Maybe a bit. But the question you asked is also insulting. First off, do you really think that 10million people would choose to live in a place where one coul " see most of what there is to see" in a day and a half? Secondly, some people have spent hours and hours posting valuable information about Los Angeles here....you seemed to just ignore it all in favor of trying to get a quick reply to an unanswerable question. You didn't state where you'll be staying, whether or not you'll have a car, how old the children are in the family, what your interests are. People get very tired of this type of general question...they are asked over and over again and yes it becomes insulting to have all previous replies and frequently-asked-questions just ignored. As for the other poster who felt insulted...nice that she was able to still browse and find most of the information that she was requesting...it was all right here now, wasn't it? Just took a little effort to find maybe?

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can it be done in a day and a half

When 'new' people check out a forum....they don't know what was asked last month, nor do they have time to check through 300 pages of posts to find out.

ANSWERING the questions is voluntary.

Also, when I was completely new to tripadvisor, I didn't know how to search for specific things without asking questions. When you do use the search box, a lot of times you don't get the answer you're looking for anyway.

Sorry that you're tired of hearing the same old questions. Maybe someone is traveling this summer that didn't read your forum last summer. This is the beginning of their California travels. When you're just starting out, you have questions and THAT is what this forum is suppose to be for.

If it's such a burden to read the posts and answer questions, then just don't do it.

I think the original poster was asking if she could do "the highlights" in a day and a half. Not see the world.