We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

hi i am visiting the US for 14 days in September with 2 boys (13 & 16)

the travel agent suggest this itinery so i would appreciate some advice

arrival day - straight to anaheim

day 2,3,4 - disney

day5- shopping/ break day

day 6- legoland

day 7- sea world

day 8? - day trip to tijuana (unsure about this is it enjoyable for teenage boys

day 9- knotts berry

day 10- fly to Vegas

day 11- grand canyon

day 12 -? any idess shopping maybe?

day 13- fly to LA sightseeing ?

day 14- universal studio

departure day last minute shopping leave at night time is it worth going to vegas or just concentrate between LA and Anaheim ideas will be appreciated

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Hi

Not a big help with regard to your planning, but just wanted to make a comment on Legoland.

We went about 4 years ago with our 11 year old son who was Lego crazy. Unfortunately while he enjoyed the day, he was disappointed as he thought it was really suited to kids about 8 years of age.

The other consideration is California adventure park - this has real thrill rides that my kids loved.

Which between Disneyland and California it took us a good 5 days to really do both (and then some!)

Regards,

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Look into your intinery again. About 75 % of your time you will spent at theme parks. You are flying halfway around the world to visit places you can find all over the world WHILE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! ONE OF THE MIST BEAUTIFUL PARTS IN THE WORLD!

Trust me, I love themeparks and disneyland is truely magical which your kids will truelly enjoy. But if you get a chance, go to your local library and get a tourbook about California(or just southern california) There is a lot more to do, see and experience then running from one park to another

I would start with 2 days Disneyland, which should give you ample time to see it all. California Adventure will become a big construction zone this year, so maybe hold off on that for another time

There is a big drug war going on in Tijuana, people are getting killed and tourists kidnapped on an almost daily basis, dont think it's an ideal spot for a family vacation

Vegas is Sin City, the city went away with there family friendly plans in the late 90's and it sure shows. Your 16 year old might enjoy it, but not in the way you probably would wanted to

These are just my two cents, but I would start from scratch. Inform yourself a little bit about the wonders of California. We have amazing National Parks, cities like San Diego, L.A. and San Fran. A coastline to die for(especially between L.A. and SF)

After all, even kids will get tired waiting in line for rides after a week.... show them something different, exciting, where every day will be a new adventure. Lucky for you is that you can actually do this in this state alone!

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Here's my take on things to skip:

- Legoland ... as the previous poster said, it's for little kids (8 max).

- Tijuana ... nothing to see here, if you want to experience Mexico then go to the real Mexico and not a border town. Of yeah, that drug war is a pain too.

- SeaWorld ... I think there's one in Queensland?

- Knott's Berry Farm ... second-rate theme park

Here are things you might want to to add to your list:

- Six Flags Magic Mountain ... if you are going to so to a theme park for roller coasters, go to the best one.

- spend a day biking around Santa Monica/Venice Beach

- go surfing in San Diego

- visit the USS Midway (aircraft carrier) in San Diego

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

I agree with much of the previous posters' remarks (except, regarding Knotts, which I love) but the point is:

so many visitors from around the world, land at LAX, go directly to Disneyland and, essentially, skip over L.A. (except for a day, maybe). Universal, btw, isn't in the city of L.A., either. So, with your current plan, you'll spend 1 day in the second largest city in the U.S. (plus the hour or so when you arrive and depart at our airport). That's a pity.

Look for a Travel guide for L.A. by a company named DK Eyewitness (a British firm). Excellent guide. They also have one of San Frnacisco. You have 2 full weeks to spend here, why not show your kids "the real California" instead of stacks of theme parks?

You can fly from L.A. to San Francisco, btw, a wonderful city -- much different, then L.A. -- in about an hour and the fare is cheap (southwest.com).

Absolutely, skip Tijuana. Besides, the above-mentioned reasons, it takes hours and hours to cross the border and when you get into the town, it's largely a run-down border town of shabby shops. I'm bored just writing about it. I can't imagine what you're kids would think.

Definitely skip Legoland (your kids are too old). Look into going to a movie studio tour (like Warner Bros in Burbank (adjacent to L.A.)) or Paramount in Hollywood (in L.A.) or Sony (in Culver City, adjacent to L.A.). The Sony tour ends with a visit to the set of either Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy.

Visit the Griffith Obervatory (and plantarium) and/or the California Science Center in Exposition Park (south of downtown L.A.). Lots of "hands on" exhibits at the Cal Sci Center as well as a "rock climbing wall" and a bicycle on a wire suspended over the lobby that the kids like to ride on.

You don't specify your exact travel dates but consider going to an outdoor concert at the MASSIVE Hollywood Bowl (google it). In Septemeber, there are concerts that include fireworks as well as popular "Music of the Movies" concerts that feature music taken from popular movies. The Beastie Boys play on 24 Sep. This is a 'real LA. experience' and is best appreciated by bringing 'take away' (picnic food) and eating in the park surrounding the Bowl before the concert. There's also food and alcohol sold at the Bowl.

Or, consider the much smaller outdoor venue known as the Greek Theater. Google it. The Greek features popular artists in concert.

Take a look at the discoverLosAngeles.com website (the official tourism website for L.A.) for other great ideas about our city. We have 100s of attractions that have nothing to do with theme parks.

Good luck!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

I think we all agree on to many theme parks, to little actual vacation.

Of course I love Magic Mountain and just being there this past sunday for West Coast Bash(basically it is a behind the scenes look at the park), I would be hard pressed to not recomend it , especially with kids your age which probably would love that park more then Disneyland.

All said, your travel agent basically tried to give you an easy intinery (for himself), go to themeparks and enjoy! Not taking into account that there is a lot more to Southern California, so hopefully you will take our advice on here and look up a little on what the area has to offer and make up your own schedule on what you think that would fit your family the best

It can only make for a better vacation and sure will make for a lot better memories...

California
Level Contributor
277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

WOW, first let me say you have been given some great advice and resource sites to find out more. You also have a bit of time to make your plans so relook at your plans and the suggestions above.

My take is as a mom of two boys, now a bit older than yours. You did not mention if this was your first trip to California or not. If you have never been to Disneyland I could see going to Disney first but based on their ages I think one day Disneyland and one Day Ca. Adventure might be enough for your family with a day for shopping. Knott's is the next closest location and might have rides more exciting for the boys. Then San Diego for shopping, maybe some time at the beach and Sea World, the S.D. zoo or the Wild Animal Park. This is a great area to explore.

DO NOT GO TO TJ, see the real mexico some other trip.

After SD go north to LA maybe stay at Universal city visit Universal Studios and City walk and you are close enough to drive into Hollywood, see the Sunset strip and maybe Beverly Hills.

You can also fly out of the Burbank Airport for a quick trip to Vegas. My boys always loved it at those ages. They loved the over the top hotels, all you can eat buffets, great pools, big arcades, and going to a great show. Down side would be all the show girl posters or ads on billboards and such of scantily clad girls. They were old enough to look and I didn't worry about it too much.

Whatever you do have an amazing vacation!

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Suggestions -

1)As mom of a 15 year old girl, I can guarantee your kids are too old for Legoland.

2) Don't go to Tijuana. Truly nothing there for kids of this age, even when it is safer than it is now.

3) Knotts has some wild rollercoasters, so might be worth a day there, if they enjoy these.

4) Add the days gained from no Tijuana and no Legoland to San Diego. The USS Midway is something they might really enjoy. Or just go to the beach!

5) Absolutely go to the Grand Canyon. Allow a full day. One day in Las Vegas is probably good as they will be age limited. Give the extra time to the Grand Canyon or LA.

6) Do give LA at least three days. Perhaps pick either Knott's or Universal, not both.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

Only to add, take Magic Mountain over Knotts, there is no competition, especially considering kids your age

Knotts has some problems with there coasters, the biggest one Xcelerator(spell?) will be down for some time, Ghostrider is it's former self(you will have headaches leaving that ride) and the rest are mediocre carnival rides. Not worth it!

9. Re: LA/Anaheim/ Vegas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 10:20