We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed Limit

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Speed Limit

Hi, I would like to know the speed limit in L.A. specially in the I-405 and in Beverly Hills.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed Limit

The speed limit on the 405 is 65 miles per hour. However, if you are traveling during business commute hours it will be considerably slower.

The speed limit in Beverly Hills will be posted on the different streets and areas. For example, in front of a school, it might say slow to 25 mph, in a neighborhood it might say 35 mph. Be aware that camera's are mounted on some signals and they can take a picture of your car license for speeding.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed Limit

Are they actually taking pictures of speeders, or just red light runners?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed Limit

Good question. My husband was caught on film speeding through a red light in Culver City, thinking he'd make it before it turned really red.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed Limit

Thanks, but I have heard people go faster.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speed Limit

Basic rule is to go 35 mph on regular streets, 55/65 on the freeway, as long as you follow these rules, you will be fine

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speed Limit

Well so for me I will be driving no more than the 60, but I have see that people do drive more than 75.

What about the carpool, it is in all the I-405 from LAX to the exit in Wilshire BLVD.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speed Limit

I think parts of it is carpool, dont worry to much about driving(aka speed limit in other topics), just enjoy your stay!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speed Limit

Just be careful. The CHP are pretty diligent. Especially around freeway off and on ramps. You really won't get anywhere much faster my obeying the speed laws. LA traffice requires patience sometimes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Speed Limit

Char - are you asking about only the freeways, or the streets as well?? As stated, the speed limit on most of the freeways in the "L.A. area" is 65, but you're going to see LOTS of people drive a lot faster than that. People in L.A. love to drive fast, and no matter how fast you're going, there is ALWAYS some idiot out there who wants to go faster than you! Again, L.A. people love to drive fast! I was doing about 75 in the fast lane on the freeway the other day and there was still some idiot behind me who was tailgating me because he wanted to go faster! But to be on the safe side and to avoid a ticket, if you drive no more than 70 on freeway, you should be OK.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Speed Limit

Totally agree with you about the fast drivers! And if you're driving during rush hour, there are even more people who disobey the speed limits, because there are always people rushing to and from work.