We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

Freehold, NJ USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

I am planning to surprise my 14 year old daughter with a 3 or 4 day trip to LA in Oct. or Nov. before she has major surgery. I want to make this trip special for her. She is crazy about "The OC" and loves reading about the stars. Please give me suggestions on where to stay ( somewhere nice) and where to take her. I'm thinking of Universal. Are there any other studio tours? What age do you have to be to watch a tv taping and do you have to get the tickets in advance? I'm planning to rent a car. Thanks .

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5,891 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

First, best to your daughter (and yuorself). Hope all goes well.

In regards to the trip, I'd suggest staying at Universal Hilton.

Its very close to Universal Studios and Universal City Walk which makes it ideal location for a 14 year old. It will also be nice for yourself.

This area is also very close to the other key sights of Hollywood such as:

0.23 mi Seasonal Pantages Theatre

0.24 mi Seasonal Hollywood Walk Of Fame

0.31 mi Seasonal Capitol Records Tower

0.47 mi Seasonal Hollywood Visitor Information Cente

0.62 mi Seasonal Fox Television Studios

0.68 mi Seasonal Egyptian Theatre

0.73 mi Seasonal Hollywood Guinness Museum

In addition, its very close to the Warner Brothers VIP Studio Tours that would be quite nice to also do besides just Universal...

wbsf.warnerbros.com/vip_tours/vip_tour.html

For special events going on in the area, the Hilton Hollywood sight has a nice feature where it will show you what is going on in the area when you visit - go to the entertainment area and enter Hollywood, California. This may help in determining other things to do.

CBS has on-line ticketing for such shows as the Price is Right.

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/price/tickets/

They will show you the day and you can see what to do on the day.

Jay Leno tickets can be requested by mail if interested in that

nbc.com/nbc/…tickets.shtml

(Note: Universal also has a booth where it is sometimes (not always) possible to pick up tickets for shows.)

Since she is interested in OC, I would spend some time in the beach areas also. I'd drive to Laguna Beach/Newport Beach area and enjoy some shopping at Newport Beach Fashion Island and also plan on lunch at The Beach House in Laguna Beach.

http://www.thebeachhouse.com/

http://www.shopfashionisland.com/

I'd then take her to the Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park.

If she's crazy about the stars, she'll like this place. Its a really good wax museum ....lots of scenes/characters/etc.

http://www.movielandwaxmuseum.com/mwm.html

One of the evenings, I'd think about taking her to one of the Hollywood Star Owned Restaurants as a special treat.

You can choose one that is owned by one of her favorites (hopefully:)

losangeles.citysearch.com/roundup/38748

Here's another great guide to help tailor her Hollywood experience to what she likes to do...

http://www.seeing-stars.com/

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

You probably will not see a star at any of those places listed above...except maybe on set if you get a backlot tour that allows to go on set (or if you know someone that will let you get take a golf cart around the lot)

Go to brunch at the IVY/Spago or one of those "in" restaurants. You can try KOI too. Thats where I have typically seen stars. I grew up in brentwood and have also seen a lot of stars at Toscana - (alec baldwin and julie andrews frequent the restaurant)...Spielberg and Hanks go to lunch on saturdays at the Brentwood country mart..or they used to...

Boston
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

You can visit "It's a Wrap" on Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank. You won't meat stars there but can buy the clothes that they wore on various different TV shows and movies. Pretty inexpensive, too.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

I don't recommend staying in Universal City - not at all - you're not walking distance from anything and it sits right on the freeway. Frankly, it's quite ugly.

For a real experience, see the post above - lunching at The Ivy, The Grill or Spago. Dinner at Koi or Katana or Geisha House or Ivy at the Shore or Beechwood or anywhere in Malibu. Shop on Montana Avenue - you'll run into plenty of celebs.

Tickets to the Leno show, or any show, is a good idea -

southern california
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

just took my teen daughter on the 5 hour tour at warner bros a couple of weeks ago....it was star heaven!!! we got very lucky cause they had just started to shoot several tv shows that day and were allowed on sets and mingled w/ a few at the commisary for lunch...it was very pricey but well worth it because of the time of year...there are very few shows a 14 year old is allowed to see taped....one of these days we will trek back up to the valley to do the NBC studio tour which is cheap and not very long...even though the OC is not taped in newport beach a visit to fashion island w/ a drive along the coast to laguna beach is great...stop at the shake shak(not sure of the name) and enjoy the views!!!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay and things to do for star struck teen

I would definetly suggest trying to see a taping of a TV show. I use to live in So CA and this was always a fun thing to do...plus it is free (and you get to see the stars close up, with some even coming up into the audience). If you go to the following website: http://www.tvtickets.com/ ,check out the show schedule and it will show you the min. ages for each show. There are some that your daughter can go to and you can order the tickets right online and have them sent to you. I wish you and your daughter all the best!