We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom goes to LA

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mom goes to LA

I just got back from LA and am only half joking when I question - Is there anyone over the age of 35 in that town? I arrived on Friday - took the Prime Time shuttle to my hotel the Sofitel. This was a really nice hotel - decided on that one because of the buy 2 nights/get one free special. Had a beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows facing the hills. My son lives in LA but was hoping for a good meal paid for by Mom so we went to Mortons in the SLS hotel - expensive but the steaks could have been cut with a butter knife. Mother's Day was his treat - we went to a little French Bistro in Silverlake ( great little neighborhood)- we both thought we were back in Paris. We had tickets to the musical Dirty Dancing at the Pantages - what a gorgeous theater and the production was really good. Afterwards we walked to a little place called the Bowery recommended by my hotel. This was another good choice - this time we thought we were back in NYC. I really like LA more each time I come - there are so many nice little neighborhoods to explore - I could not have had a nicer Mother's Day even though I am over 35!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom goes to LA

KG,

Yes, there are plenty of us over 35, you just need to come back and check out more of LA.

Nice trip report, and sounds like you had a great Mother's Day weekend, and some excellent meals. Thanks for taking the time to get back to us.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom goes to LA

I often ask the same tongue-in-cheek question when I am on the westside...everyone seems so young and pretty! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I agree, Silverlake is a very cool district as is Echo Park, but very few visitors ever go that far to the east.

Thanks for the report.

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom goes to LA

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you had such a nice time.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom goes to LA

Sounds like you had a great trip and glad that you came out towards my little neighbourhood in Silverlake(well, technically I am in Echo Park which is next door)

Unfortunatly overlooked by most visitors, it is a fun little neighbourhood that I guess for now us locals will have to ourselfs :-)

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom goes to LA

Will check out Echo Park next time for sure. My son lives at the edge of the garment district in a big industrial loft - the other side of the tracks for sure but he loves it.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom goes to LA

If you want to get a little feeling about Echo Park, there is the ultimate movie that somehow got the vibe of the area perfectly. It is called Quinceanera, netflix it. A evening well spent :-)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809424704/info

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom goes to LA

Thanks - just put it into my Blockbuster lineup. Echo Park movie popped up as well so put that in the line up as well.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom goes to LA

Think we are getting off topic now,lol, but when you have seen the movie, just message me(if you have the time) and let me know what you thought about it :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom goes to LA

Great feedback! I am so happy to hear you had a great time.

I know what you mean about this being a young town. The closer to 30 I get (which is painfully close actually), the more I start to get the feeling I am going to be kicked out of the city soon!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom goes to LA

Dont worry, I am pushing 40 this year and are still welcomed...you still have a couple of years,lol!