We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

I'm flying into LAX from the Illinois corn fields on a June Monday afternoon. On T,W, and TH I'll be in a training facility all day and then flying back to Illinois on Friday morning. It looks like my only chance of seeing the ocean will be right after I arrive on Monday (scheduled to land around 1:30pm). I'd like to rent a car at the airport, drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu area and then back to the airport to catch a shuttle transportation to the hotel in Cypress area. With all the horror stories out there about the 405 rush hour traffic from 2-7pm I'm wondering if I'll even get close to the water. I really want to be able to see the coastline and then get back to the airport by around 9pm. Is that possible? Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

You wouldn't be anywhere near the 405 en route to Malibu from LAX, so no worries.

Just take Lincoln north until you hit the 10 freeway West, which turns into Pacific Coast Highway. You'll have the ocean at your side the whole way to Malibu, on PCH.

The rental agency will have a map, but it's a very easy drive.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Assuming your flight arrives on time, and especially if you only have carry on luggage, you should be in your car and on your way by about 2:45 PM at worst, which is early enough to avoid traffic at its worst. as Yoga said, head north on Lincoln from the airport. Take Lincoln to California Ave. (about 6 miles), then head left on California Ave for about 1/2 mile and head down the California Incline, which will have you heading north (and eventually west) again on PCH. This will take you straight into Malibu (about 15-16 miles).

I suggest hanging around in Malibu until 7:30 or so - watch the sunset, take a drive through the campus of Pepperdine University (beautiful views), have some dinner. Then head back to the airport by reversing the above directions - by this time you should have avoided the worst of the traffic.

Good luck!

South Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Just did that drive yesterday. Nothing easy about it if you are not used to CA driving. The traffic is very intense either on the highway or off. I've driven in all parts of the US, including NY city and this is the most stessful. Also very dissapointing driving a lot of the way all you see are houses crowded together on the beach side with very little view of the water. That being said, it is still worth the trip. Just be prepared.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

How about on the return trip, at 7:30 or so, that the poster stays on the 10 Freeway east, and merges to the 405 south? The car rental return lots are off Century Blvd. and the freeway area. I drove back from Santa Monica this afternoon at 2:30 and made it in 15 min. with little traffic. She still has to drop off the rental, shuttle back to the airport to catch a shuttle to Cypress, so it might be faster.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Not sure why CANative has you driving Lincoln to California -- the 10 becomes the 1, so make the left onto the 10 from Lincoln. Going all the way to California makes no sense and will have you lost in a heartbeat (stop signs, traffic, etc).

Yes, the drive is easy. Very. The water will be on your left going up, and on your right going back. It's much prettier going back.

Again, you'll encounter little to no traffic going back the same way you came, but taking the 10 to the 405 is a good idea because of the location of the rental agencies.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Thanks to all for the replies. Great info. I will stick to the Lincoln/10W/1/PCH route going up and I'll give the 405 a shot coming back to the airport. Once I land Monday afternoon I don't need to be anywhere until my class starts at 8AM on Tuesday so timing getting back to the airport and hotel aren't a major issue. I'll definetely hang around Malibu awhile before fighting traffic back to LAX. I'm sure I can find something good to eat around there. And assuming the sun is setting around 8:30 at this time of year should be just right for timing. Thanks again!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

Yoga, I did not mentioned California Ave. I only suggested taking the 10 to the 405 back to LAX on the return. Read again.

8. Re: How long to drive from LAX to Malibu on a Monday afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 06:16