We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay in?

I am having a difficult time deciding where to stay over the winter break. Initially, I thought we would stay in Beverly Hills, however I now have the impression that it is dead after the stores close. So now I am thinking that West Hollywood would be better for shopping, eating, and walking around. We have ruled out Santa Monica; we are not beach people and I think it is too far west. Just to give you an idea, when in New York, we stay on Times Square, when in London, we stay in the West End. When in Hong Kong, we stay in Kowloon on the harbor. Should we stay in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in?

Probably West Hollywood (on Sunset Blvd) or Hollywood. What is your budget per night?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in?

We will need 2 rooms. We would like to stay at $500 per night for 2 rooms.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,370 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in?

$250 per night is doable in Hollywood, West Hollywood (Sunset Strip) or Beverly Grove (the neighborhood so the east of Beverly Hills and to the south of West Hollywood).

The Sunset Strip is similar to the Galleria neighborhood in Houston (without the mall). Hotels, restaurants, live music venues and some boutique shopping.

Hollywood is an older part of L.A. with a newer mall (the Hollywood & Highland Center), grand old movie theaters, restaurants, bars, night clubs, etc.

Beverly Grove is a shopping and dining district with malls at either end -- the Beverly Center at one end (with the 4-star Sofitel Hotel across the street and the SLS Hotel, a block away) and the Farmers Market/'the Grove' at the other end (with CBS' 'Television City' Studios adjacent). This is a popular area for locals as well as tourists. No bars or clubs here except for some bars within restaurants.

Hotwire.com is offering "a 4.5 star hotel in Beverly Hills - West Hollywood for $179". You'll need to add 15 percent for hotel tax and about $30 for parking (if you plan on renting a car). Hotwire.com doesn't disclose the actual name of the hotel until you provide credit card info and agree to pay but based upon the info provided, it is MOST LIKELY the Sofitel.

Hotwire.com is also offering a "4-star in West Hollywood for $142"). This is probably the Mondrian on the Sunset Strip.

If it were me, I'd go with the Sofitel.

Good luck!

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in?

If you stay in Times Square in NYC and The West End in London then you should stay on The Sunset Stip in West Hollywood or in Hollywood on Hollywood Boulevard.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,826 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay in?

If you stay in Times Square in NYC and The West End in London then you should stay on The Sunset Stip in West Hollywood. It is the only place in L.A. that has a compact nightlfe. There are plenty of other area in L.A. that have good nightlife, just not as many in a small area as West Hollywood.

6. Re: What area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 06:16