We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,394 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

The first question to ask – what do you want to see or do while in Los Angeles? Will you be traveling with children? Do you like great restaurants? Are you a clubber? Most important: will you have a car while in L.A?

Hollywood is a good base for those who want to be near the Walk of Fame and Universal Studios – it’s also convenient for those who don’t want to rent a car and are relying on public transportation. It’s also great for those who like the club scene (see L.A. FAQs Nightlife). Much of Hollywood is safe, but use care at night if on foot. It is, however, very safe for families.

West Hollywood is central to both Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and hotels there tend to be within the residential areas. West Hollywood prides itself as being it’s own city, and has a large gay community.

Beverly Hills (and Century City) is also a great central base and is closest to the beach while also close to Hollywood. You would be advised to get a rental car, but it’s okay to rely on public transportation – just expect longer travel times. It’s a great place for families, but it’s expensive.

Santa Monica is one area that can be explored on foot. There are lots of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance, and tends to be a very safe place. Venice has some sketchy areas, use care at night. While there are tours that commence in Santa Monica, you are about 45 minutes away from Hollywood tourist sights. Also great for families, but hotel rates are higher at the beach.

Downtown tends to be the most reasonably priced area, but you will be doing a lot of traveling to see sights. You are furthest from the beach, but with a renaissance in Downtown LA, there’s a great nightlife and some of the city’s best restaurants.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

While Downtown may be experiencing a renaissance, be aware that its *slow going* and much of downtown is still not worth bothering with, especially for lodging- though I've stayed at the Biltmore and its beautiful but expensive.

Not that I'm discouraging visiting the Downtown area, but I don't consider it a safe and vibrant hub for visitors of Los Angeles like the downtown areas of other major cities are. Not yet, anyways.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

penquinone - The reason we included Downtown in the Where To Stay FAQ is because we get many, many questions about the downtown area on this bbs. Might have something to do with the Convention Center, or maybe because the nightly rates are lower.

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

How far is Santa Monica from th airport and what would it cost in a cab?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

It's $22-$25 from LAX to Santa Monica - a 15-20 minute drive up Lincoln Blvd.

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

Thanks Yogachik your replies are so speedy.

I'm in LA in the next few weeks for a night in transit and on my own. I want to get the most out of LA in 24hrs but don't want to hire a car. I've been reading yours and hopskipjump's reviews of LA and it's really helped. Still haven't decided where to stay - is there anywhere like the Standard Hotels in Santa Monica?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

Yes, The Viceroy. Great, hopping, bar scene by the poolside and in cabanas. Also, you can walk all over Santa Monica and Venice from there.

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

Thanks. Do you know any others they're booked up.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

The only hotel that's like The Standard in Santa Monica is the Viceroy. But you could always hang out there at night and stay someplace else. The other great hotel is Shutters - different vibe, but very cool.

Here's a link to all SM hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33052-Santa_Monica_C…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

Worth bumping...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: L.A. FAQs Where to Stay

What hotel would you recommend for a 2 day/1 night stay in the L.A. area. My boyfriend and I (both in our 20's) have rented a car and are willing to spend anything on a great hotel/location.

Thanks! :)