We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I rent a car to ride strictly

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
If I rent a car to ride strictly

on Beverly Boulevard, to the Farmers Market and Grove, and to the nice part of Sunset boulevard near Beverly Hills, will I have a lot of problems navigating my way around? I was there in April and it looked like I could drive fairly easily in that section of LA without getting terribly lost. What is yyour opinion? I just don't want to drive on the freeway. Thanks, Lucia

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I rent a car to ride strictly

i think i read that you're staying at the sofitel...if you are, and you only want to visit these places, then i would take a bus. probably even the DASH would work for you.

i must admit the people riding the bus are generally not that enjoyable, but the places you want to visit are about 5 minutes away, if that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I rent a car to ride strictly

Thank you IluvKimi but although some people may not mind buses, I would not ever even consider it unless I was stranded and had no other option. My motto is if I'm paying good money to stay in a nice hotel, then I might as well get a nice rental car to go out with.Thanks anyways but that's not an option for me. Lucia

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I rent a car to ride strictly

understood...the bus can be pretty gross.

but yes, it's easy to get to these places in a car.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If I rent a car to ride strictly

While the traffic can be heavy at times in this area, it's not impossible. It's not as busy as a freeway. You're staying in a busier area than most as far as traffic goes, but it's probably better that you are there where there are things to see and do than in the outskirts where the traffic is less and you have to drive more.

Just don't expect wide, empty streets and convenient and free parking. The streets immediately around the hotel (La Cienega, San Vincente, Beverly) get a good amount of traffic. On the other hand, you are also very close to the places that you mentioned--less than a mile--so you won't be driving for long.

Here's some specific directions to get around, but you might want to double-check with the hotel's concierge:

The Hotel Sofitel is at:

8555 Beverly Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA

This is on the north side of the street, opposite the Beverly Center (which you can walk to). I'm not sure what part of the hotel you're leaving from, but I'll bet that it's likely that you can only travel west on Beverly when you leave the hotel.

The Original Farmers Market and the adjacent Grove shopping mall are less than a mile away from your hotel. From the hotel, I would get over to San Vincente Boulevard (which is just west of the hotel) and head south. On San Vincente Boulevard, go past the Beverly Center and then take a left-hand turn at Third Street, which is on the southern end of the Beverly Center and drive east. From Third Street, take another left-hand turn onto Fairfax Avenue and head north for a half-block. The entrance to the parking lot is on the right-hand side of Fairfax Avenue, between Third Street and Beverly Boulevard. There's a multi-story parking garage in the Grove that's inexpensive, or if you're lucky, you might get a spot outdoors near the Farmers Market. This trip should take less than five minutes by car. You will probably spend more time driving around the parking structure or parking lot looking for a space.

To get to Sunset Boulevard in Beverly Hills from the hotel, take San Vincente Boulevard north, and turn right at Melrose Avenue, and then left on La Cienega Boulevard. Drive up the hill on La Cienega Boulevard, past Santa Monica Boulevard, until La Cienega Boulevard ends. Turn left onto Sunset Boulevard and drive through the western end of the "Sunset Strip" towards Beverly Hills. On Sunset Boulevard, Beverly Hills is west of Doheny Drive. To get to this area from the Grove and the Original Farmers Market, just exit the mall on Fairfax Avenue and drive north on Fairfax Avenue for a half block. Turn left at Beverly Boulevard and drive west for about a half mile, and then turn right and head north on La Cienega Boulevard. La Cienega Boulevard ends at Sunset Boulevard, where you turn left to head towards Beverly Hills.

While a map might help (and I think the maps from the car rental agencies are not detailed enough), it might help to keep these major streets in mind:

East/West streets, from south to north:

Pico Boulevard

Olympic Boulevard

Wilshire Boulevard

Third Street

Beverly Boulevard

Melrose Avenue

Santa Monica Boulevard

Sunset Boulevard

Hollywood Boulevard

North/South Streets, from west to east:

Doheny Drive

Robertson Boulevard

La Cienega Boulevard

Fairfax Avenue

La Brea Avenue

San Vincente Boulevard starts off going north/south, but as it passes by your hotel it starts curving and heads east/west. Also, Santa Monica Bouelvard starts off going east/west, but as it passes west past La Cienega Bouelvard, it curves south.

At the Farmers Market, I like to get tacos at Loteria and pick up some fresh peanut butter at Magee's:

Loteria Grill

Farmers Market, Stall 322

6333 West Third Street

Los Angeles, CA 90036

telephone: (323) 930-2211

www.laweekly.com/ink/03/16/dining-huneven.php

Magee's House of Nuts

Farmers Market, Stall 624

6333 West Third Street

Los Angeles, CA 90036

telephone: (323) 938-4127

http://www.mageesnuts.com/