We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Hey,

I'm spending my 21st in LA and Vegas coming all the way from Australia in November. Planning to get from Airport To Vegas back to LA is going to be tricky. As i do have family over there, they aren't going to have much time to take me around places, and i figured would be better if hired out a car for the 2 weeks Im there. Was considering public transport but sounds like a hassle otherwise convince me. But when staying in LA we want to go from northern part of LA down to southern also, so thought this would be best idea.

So it will be me and my best mate on this trip, we both be 21 with driving licenses here in Oz. I know prices are higher for under 25s.

Anyone recommend me which company to hire from?

Also we want to see the major sites like Disney land and Hollywood/Bev hills.

Anyone recommend a decent hotel/motel to stay in Anaheim area and up in the hollywood Area.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Alamo, National and Dollar car rentals all rent to 21 year olds - don't know if they rent to people from outside the U.S. who are 21 year olds.

You definitely need a car for getting around L.A./Anaheim, but you could probably find a bus from the airport to Las Vegas and back. Depends on what you're doing in Vegas - if you want to see anything outside of Vegas, keep your car, but if you're just going to do the strip and party, best to leave your car parked. Some people consider this a waste of a rental, but if you can get a good two week rate, I'd keep the car the whole time.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

And Enterprise (our favorite rental car company) also rents to 21 year olds.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Flights to and from Las Vegas are pretty cheap, if yu stay away from Friday and Sunday flights.

As for public transport, it depends on where you are staying.

Rental cars: Hertz has been having a coupon on their site offering no extra charge for 21-24 year olds, if you're lucky they might offer it for November. Make sure that collision and liability insurance are included in your car quote...they should be if you note at the top of the Hertz page that you are from Aus, and then click "Go".

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Also be aware there are 5 airports in the LA area, and some may be more convenient than LAX to the place you are staying at. Most airlines have flights from one or more of these airports to LV. By far the most flights are on Southwest www.iflyswa.com They are a discount airline like Jetstar in Australia; so it's just the basics but for a 40 minute flight who cares? LAX and Burbank (BUR) are on the north and west side of LA while Orange County and Long Beach are to the south. You can fly from one and return to another, solving part of your transporation problem.

Two other airlines to check (besides the major ones) are JetBlue and Allegiant. The reason I mention these 3 specifically is they do not show up on websites such as Expedia and Travelocity.

The drive is a quick 4-5 hours and some great scenery, and may be just as fast "door to door".

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

With being 21 years old you might have more fun at Magic Mountain then Disneyland...just saying...

Going from northern part to southern part in L.A does not really mean anything as that could be anything between northridge and watts. I would assume that you mean the area between downtown L.A. and the beach, which is where most visitors will spent there time at

As for Hollywood hotels/motels, we usually recomend The Orchid, Magic Castle or Celebrity Hotel which are reasonably priced and get good reviews here on TA.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

One thing I do not recommend is driving once you are in Vegas. If you have to take your rental car with you, find a parking spot and DO NOT move your car till you are leaving.

We decided one night to visit the local drag races and tried to return to our hotel at around 10:30pm. big mistake! We sat on Las Vegas Blvd looking at our hotel a few metres in front of us but it took about an hour to get into the actual front of the hotel becasue of the traffic. Once we arrived, no parking. When we explained that we were guests at the hotel they explained as parking is free anyone can use the parking, it's not exclusively for hotel guests. It then took us another hour going from car park to car park trying to find a spot. We finally got back to our room after midnight - it was a nightmare.

If you are staing in Anaheim I would stay as close to Disneyland as you can because there isnt really many other reasons why you would be in Anaheim.

Also, one thing I figured with rental cars is always book the smallest cheapest car they have. The car companies very rarely actually have these cars available and you will get a better car for the price of the cheapest car. If you do end up getting saddled with the smaller car but you want bigger, its cheaper to upgrade at the time you are picking it up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

thanks for your replies.

Regarding to car rental, do i book before i get there or hustle a deal when i arrive there?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

I would always pre book as you can compare offers at the comfort of your home and take all the time you need to find something that would suit you best

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Driving through Watts and Compton ok during day?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer - 21 yr old Car Rental and where to sleep?

Find out if there is a way to rent your car and prepay from an agency in your country disclosing your age etc. Although there are many rental car agencies at LAX, due to your age and not having a U.S. drivers license, it would be better to have this all taken care of and paid in advance.

There are many motels in and around Anaheim (do a TA search for "Anaheim hotels") and with a rental car, you are flexible and can stay a little farther away if necessary. With a car, you always want to inquire about free parking at the motel, most lower priced motels do include free parking.