We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

Hi

My family of 3 are about to make our third trip to Santa Monica.

First time we jumped in a taxi and took the "long way round" from LAX to SM via freeway (cost about $35). The second time and more familiar with the area we returned a hire car to LAX from SM via the "direct route" through Venice.

This time my head says take a taxi but my wallet says take the Bus ($1.75pp)

Question is....how easy is it to get from LAX to the Bus pick up point/how long does it take and could you be in SM by Taxi whilst still waiting for the Rapid 3 Bus?

Thanks everyone

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

You can get easy via the free airport shuttle to parking lot#3 which is where the LAX Transit Center is.

The #3 blue bus runs every 15 minutes thruout the day, so it comes rather frequently.

As it is duable via the bus it would really depend on how you and your family will feel after a long flight and also how much luggage you will have with you

Maybe you could compromise and take a taxi to SM when you arrive and try out the bus after your vacation when you have to be heading back to the airport(when you are hopefully more rested)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

Take a taxi. Tell the driver to take Lincoln, to not get on the freeway.

A bus with kids is a hassle (long walk from stop, to stop), and yes, you would be at the hotel before you're even halfway there on the bus.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

The public transit website, METRO.NET, has a trip planner which tells you the time and route associated with a trip based upon its starting and ending points. On the right side of the homepage, if one enters "LAX" as the starting point and "Santa Monica Pier" as the ending point (assuming a 10 a.m. departure time on a weekday), this is the result:

Ride Lot C Shuttle (marked "AIRPORT PARKING - 96TH ST") Lv: 10:06AM

To: LAX TRANSIT CENTER Ar: 10:15AM

No Charge

Transfer to...

Ride Santa Monica 3 (marked "LINCOLN BL-MONTANA-UCLA")

To: 4TH ST/CIVIC CENTER Ar: 11:06AM

Pay $0.75, (EZ Pass accepted)

Ending at SANTA MONICA PIER

Total cash fare = $0.75

Trip time is about 1 hour and 0 minutes.

Trip distance is about 12.97 miles.

By taxi, the transfer is 20 to 25 minutes and costs about $25.

The questiom is:

"Would you rather save 30 minutes (plus a 5 or more minutes' walk with your luggage to and from the bus stops and pay $23 more for this convenience?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

HSJ's question is exactly right: Would you rather spend one hour and 75¢ per person, or half an hour and $25, getting between LAX and Santa Monica. With three people and not too much luggage, you may find one option or the other preferential. If you can't decide, I'd go with the cheaper option and then have a nicer dinner with the money you save.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

Take the taxi. It's door to door service in under a half hour. After that long flight from the UK, you deserve to arrive easily at your hotel.

If you go to SM by bus, then how far is your hotel? More time spent on the sidewalk, if the bus does not have a stop in front of your hotel.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

Hi everyone - and thanks for all the information

The info from the METRO list was useful and has made my decision..

After flying from the UK via Philadelphia and the time that all takes it'll be a Taxi for me. I had suggested to my husband we ask the taxi driver to use Lincoln but he wasn't sure we would get an agreeable response so I'm going to ask the dispatcher in the taxi line so we go the short route

Can't wait to share 13 hours of my day with US Airways very shortly!! Their reviews are horrendous...

Droid

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

Of course you can tell the taxi driver which route to take. There is no taxi "dispatcher" at LAX, anyway, but just tell the driver to take Lincoln, and he will.

What hotel are you going to, at what time of day?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

With respect to US Airways, we recently returned from a trip where we flew on US Airways from LAX to London (via Philadelphia), both directions. I do not know what you have heard, but it seemed ok to me. It certainly didn't seem any different then when we have made the same journey on British Airways, Continental, American Airlines, etc. It certainly wasn't a pleasurable experience, but a flight of that duration never is.

9. Re: LAX to Santa Monica - Taxi or Big Blue Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 06:19