We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6am arrival - day room?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
6am arrival - day room?

I have been trying to do a search but I'm not sure where to find the answer. So forgive me if it's been asked before.

I arrive at LAX at about 6am on Sunday. Would it be better for me to get a day room for some hours before heading to my "permanent" location while I'm in LA? Or should I head directly to my "permanent" location?

I just wonder what's open at the time I get to LA. And I'd imagine I'd be very tired. I don't think I'd want to wander the streets in a sleepy state if my time would be better spent sleeping.

Thank you.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

Without knowing what your "permanent" location is, your question can't be answered. If your "permanent" location is a hotel/motel, then pre-arrange with them to check in early. I don't know why you would even consider wandering the streets. Chuck...

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

Thanks for your reply. My location would probably somewhere in Hollywood. As for wondering the streets, I was wondering if there was anything open at the time to see.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

again, dan you have a way of giving good advice with a bit too much acid involved.

Happiness is a journey. 6am is early for everything, and not even breakfast places will be open. It is important in giving advice to know where you are headed. if a hotel etc in LA itself then best to ask if you can check in or at least have your bags held so you can do something while you wait.

If Anaheim, better to go there and again either check in if you can. catch up a bit on sleep on the shuttle and dont worry about if it is a round about trip, better shut eye time to get you through the day.

if you cant check in, then get your bags minded and head out for breakfast then either Disney or Knotts. If Disney and you are close you can come back for a rest in mid afternoon then head out again.

If you are heading to yet another town then use up the time to travel there, say San Diego or get your hire car if applicable and then find somewhere quiet and crash for a little while.

most of all , sleep on the plane you have 13 hours so make a good start with your holiday and be ready to move when you arrive.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

didnt see your reply until i posted mine. sorry for the ramblings. breakfast would be all that is open and not much of that.

basically go to hotel and take it from there. if you plan a theme park, say universal and you are close then ask if you can get passouts to come back and rest in the afternoon if the park is open at night, otherwise just find out the earliest you can check in, ask the hotel to mind your bags and go and see the walk of fame which is in the open and take a bus ride or something to fill in some time.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

I'm not all that familiar with the situation as regards to the availability of day rooms at LAX - there are others here who can give you a better answer.

My suspicion, however, is that none of the hotels around LAX are going to have any earlier guaranteed check in time than your hotel in Hollywood will. You might want to contact your Hollywood hotel and find out exactly what time their check in is. Most hotels will glady accomodate an early check in if they have rooms available when you arrive, but they won't guarantee it in advance. You might also want to contact them and confirm they can store your luggage for you if you arrive before check in time.

In any case, unless you can find a suitable hotel near LAX that will guarantee you an early check in, probably the best thing to do when you arrive would be to head to your hotel in Hollywood - there's much more to do there if you aren't able to check in to a hotel than you will find at LAX.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

Once you arrive, pass customs, get your baggage etc...then catch the Flyaway to Union Station and the subway up to Hollywood...it will be 9am. Your hotel will watch your baggage for you until a room is available for you. (depending on which hotel you choose). Sunday mornings are quiet around Hollywood and probably the best time to get out and look around, if you are not too tired. (Why are you considering staying in Hollywood? It may or may not be the best location for you.)

If you arrive at LAX airport and are dead-tired and in need of a shower, it will not be difficult to find a day-room on Sunday morning as Saturday night is the most quiet night of the week at all the airport hotels. In the baggage area there are some direct phones to various hotels and you can check rates for an 8am to 2pm stay. Just make sure that the hotel sends a shuttle to pick you up, and tell them your terminal number. I would imagine that a day rate would run about $50 to $60US.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

As Hollywood is an excellent location, you will be also in luck on a sunday morning as there is the Hollywood Farmers Market going on from 7 am until 1pm on Ivar ave, just off Hollywood Blvd

The market is very bustling and happening early on, great breakfast options and people watching are all inclusive in the experience

So no worries, even if you have to wait an hour or two to check into your room(might not even have to wait), you will not be sitting at a corner with no place to go

No need really to get a dayroom at LAX, just make it to your hotel and go from there

8. Re: 6am arrival - day room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 05:25