We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA for the first time - some help please

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
LA for the first time - some help please

Hi all,

I live in Australia and in the next 2 weeks will be booking airfare to New York, with a stop in LA. The tickets are for dec 2010, but the airfare is on sale and we can get a good deal.

The flight stops in LA before flying onwards to New York.

My question is what should first time travellers do, and where to stay in LA.

I will be travelling with my husband and 17 year old son.

I am not even sure where to stay. I have just started researching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anaheim
Level Contributor
673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

LA has Hollywood, Disneyland, Museums and Beaches just to start, so we need to know what you like to do to offer any relevant advice.

I would say drive the Pacific Coast Highway North for a uniquely California experience, but how much time you have here would help too.

Rosco

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

Since there is an enormous amount to see and do, what kinds of activities do you enjoy? Do you plan on renting a car? When will you be visiting?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,424 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

I'm confused by your remark that the flight "stops in LA ... and then on to New York". Is this one flight with a layover? If so, how long is the layover? Or, are these 2 separate flights? We have a number of discount internal airlines that handle the route from L.A. to NY. Have you looked into booking this portion of your trip separately from the international one?

What are your exact travel dates? (This is important since the Christmas holidays occupy part of Dec during which time prices are high. In the beginning of Dec, meanwhile, prices are lower).

Tell us more!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

Our flight is Melbourne to New York, but we are permitted one stop in LA.

the number of days we have in LA depends on us, because I am just starting to plan our trip. I am thinking about 4 days. I would love to see the coast.

My son will be 17 so he would love to look at some of the stores. Perhaps do a tour of LA and Beverley Hills.

I am not sure about hiring a car, but driving up the coast would be great.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

OP- There is a huge variety of things to do in LA. Driving up the coast is very scenic, but then again very similar to driving parts of GOR. So maybe you want to do other things that are quite different than MEL.

Definitely narrow things down; imaging the populated area of MEL covering an area from Geelong to the Dandenongs and you get an idea of the extent of the LA metro area. Suggest deciding the types of things you want to do, then people can reply with places that fit your preferences and in turn the area(s) to select a hotel.

Also, when in December? (last 2 weeks are school vacations and tourist places are more crowded). An idea of how budget-conscious you will be also helps.

Last suggestion, unlike MEL a rental car is usually a good idea to make best use of your time.

6. Re: LA for the first time - some help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:18