We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UCLA visit

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
UCLA visit

We are going to be staying near UCLA in early January and thought it would be nice to visit both the Murphy Sculpture Gardens and the Mathias Botanical Gardens. My questions are:

1. Where are they on Campus??

2. How much distance is between them

3. A parking pass is evidently required to park. How much are the parking passes, and is one good for both gardens or do I need separate ones??

4. How long should I allow to see each garden??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
549 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UCLA visit

The Murphy Garden is considered on "North" campus, so it's closer to Sunset Blvd. The Botanical gardens are nearer to 'central' campus across from the Jonsson cancer center. Distance about half a mile or so. From Sunset, takes me about 20 minutes to walk to Westwood village, so they are close to each other.

link to Botanical garden

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/bg-home.htm

For murphy, just type in the search field at

www.ucla.edu

You might want to print out a campus map as well.

As for parking, I think it's $11 to park on campus, so you would only want to park once, lot 9 on Westwood Blvd is central to both. Take a look at the maps on UCLA website, there are quite a few lots. The walk from the Mathias to the Botanical is not far at all, and if you're able, you could walk thru campus so that you can see all the lovely plants and trees planted around the area.

If you're staying close to campus, you could take a bus to UCLA and not bother with a car at all. Check with your hotel, I'm sure they'd know.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UCLA visit

Murphy Sculpture Gardens are on the north side of campus, and the Mathias Gardens are on the south side of campus. It's very easy to walk between the two. Here's the map

http://maps.ucla.edu/campus/

You buy a parking pass at any entrance, I suggest entering on Hilgard and Westholme, and park in the lot they direct you to, but this is exactly in between the two gardens.l. The parking attendant will give you a map.

Here's the link for parking

http://map.ais.ucla.edu/go/Campus%20Parking/

southern california
Level Contributor
19 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UCLA visit

If you have not been up to the Getty center you must go-it's a short drive from UCLA. But note that parking up there now costs $15, ikes! There is a red metro rapid bus that goes up Hilgard and stops on Sepulveda at the Getty Center if you don't want to shell out for parking and have time to take the bus.

The gardens at the Getty pretty much out-trump any other gardens on the west side of LA. Plus you get the view if it is a clear day. If you have the choice you want to go to the Getty when it is clear. There is no admission charge.

Disclaimer- I have no relationship with the Getty but often take visitors up there.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,169 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UCLA visit

Btw, the Metro Rapid Bus wont take that much longer from Ucla to the Getty vs driving. Considering you have to park in a huge underground garage(incl the privilege of paying $15 doing so), the rapid bus option might even be faster

Of course you would have to know what time the bus is arriving/departing, which you can easily do so thru the metro website at www.metro.net

5. Re: UCLA visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2010, 05:18