We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving San diego to LA

alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving San diego to LA

I will be driving from San Diego to Beverly hills to the CBS studios off Beverly Blvd. I will park at the grove shopping center. Is it quicker to take the 405 or take the 5 to the 110? thanks

alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving San diego to LA

I will be gtravelling on Wdnesdy morning on the 5th. Leaving Sandiego about 7 a m

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving San diego to LA

Traffic is going to be bad regardless. So basically, you're looking at which is the least bad option. I'd go with the 405. Southern OC on the 5 is going to be bad. But, the heart of the OC between the 405 & the 605 on the 5 is typically very bad during rush hour, which you'll be in the thick of. No doubt the 405 will be sluggish, but better than the 5. Of course, all bets are off if there are any accidents. That said, constantly monitor traffic from your phone/GPS. Particularly in L.A. county, there are many alternate routes in the southeast. I like to leverage the 105, if traffic warrants.

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving San diego to LA

If possible, I'd suggest either leaving a few hours earlier, or later. The drive is over two hours when there's no traffic, and will be a lot worse at that time of day.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving San diego to LA

Will you be alone or have passenger(s)? You can use the HOV lanes as long as you have 1 or more pax (2 or more in vehicle). Or, you can be in the HOV solo in a permitted hybrid or on a motorcycle.

In either case, 405 is the way to go. I-5 through Buena Park is a disaster area right now....the freeway narrows from 5-6 northbound lanes (plus HOV) to 3 lanes and no HOV. Orange County upgraded the freeway about 10 years ago but it's still in the 1955 version when it gets to the LA County line. There's also a lot of construction going on to try to improve things.

Tune in 1070AM where they broadcast traffic every 10 minutes, or there are phone apps with color-coded realtime congestion maps. You can also check www.sigalert.com but conditions can change drastically in 20 minutes.

Through South OC you can use the 73 Toll Road but it's only worth the $5-$6 toll to bypass a bad problem on the 5/405.

Another alternate if 405 and 5 look bad is I-5 to Hwy 57 North, then I-210 west. In Pasadena take Rte 134 west to Rte 2 into the downtown LA area.

Hope this helps!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,732 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving San diego to LA

Is there any chance of doing the drive, the night before after 7 pm and getting a cheap room for the night near CBS? That would be my suggestion. BTW, CBS is not in the city of Beverly Hills; it's in a neighborhood called Beverly Grove in the city of L.A.

6. Re: Driving San diego to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:20