We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Have posted in 'Hollywood' forum with no success :-(

Would like a suggestion for suitable hotel to spend a few nights with my family while visiting LA (two children 12 & 15). We are hoping to stay somewhere central to attractions such as 'Walk of Fame' and will do a day trip to Universal and Santa Monica. Comfortable using public transport etc.. but would also like to be somewhere we all feel safe. Am considering Hollywood Heights Hotel. Friends have stayed in Beverly Hills at Crowne Plaza and don't know whether to follow with this option or not..........help ????

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Can you share with us your hotel budget per night and your travel dates? Then we can give you some specific recommendations. Also anything you have planned beyond Univeral and Santa Monica?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Travel dates are mid June. We will have already stayed at Aneheim and also visited Seaworld at San Deigo. Wanting to spend 3 nights in Hollywood area to do sights, Universal & Santa Monica. Mid range hotel would be great as we have just over 3 weeks in the States. Thanks

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Are you trying to do all of this, San Diego/ Anaheim/ Los Angeles etc, for three weeks WITHOUT a car???

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

FYI, there is no "Hollywood Forum" (you posted in the West Hollywood Forum) because Hollywood is simply a neighborhood in the city of L.A. and Trip Advisor has forums in CITIES only, not neighborhoods. West Hollywood is an incorporated city (separate from the city of Los Angeles and, not surprisingly, west of Hollywood). West Hollywood, while small in size is not small in importance because it contains, among other things, the world famous "sunset Strip".

The reason you got no responses was not because you posted in the wrong place but because you posted at 1:30 a.m. "Los Angeles time". Most of us are asleep at that hour and by the time we woke up, the postings from dozens of other cities (L.A., San Francisco, San Diego, etc) had appeared which 'pushed your posting down' and off of the 'front window' of trip advisor. So, for best posting, post in the morning, if possible. And, post in the Los Angeles Forum (which includes Hollywood, as mentioned above) since more people look at and respond to the Los Angeles Forum (which includes Hollywood!) than the West Hollywood Forum (which doesn't). Whew!

Re: your hotel question, take a look at the hotel listings here on Trip Advisor along with 'traveler ratings'. Go here: (link and scroll down for the listings in the center column)

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-zfn6-Los_Angel…

Hotels are listed in order of "traveler preference" (first is 'most preferred', and so on).

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Absolutely ! Flying into LA, transport to Aneheim, bus day trip to Seaword etc.. Aussies try to cram in a lot as it takes us so long to reach the USA !

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

LA is pretty safe unless you travel too far south or too far east or the valley.

You will be fine.As for hotels you have plenty of choices.My purpose was to suggest a great option.This place is in a great young,artistic , "hip" neighborhood.You can walk two blocks and catch train to downtown,Universal or Hollywood.You can walk to some good dining and little shops on Loz Feliz or juction.Im in no way affiliated with this place.I just love the vibe of place and walk by it almost daily to get my coffee.Its more of a nice LA home away from home,nice people around.Its actually a eco friendly spot and I love that you can do laundry in your place if needed.I have a 14 yr daughter and its the only place here I let her roam to movies and stores by her self.

Just type "Los Feliz Lodge" on the search bar on this page andcheck it out.

Good luck

Edited: 08 January 2010, 03:08
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Correction--

Its a Eco conscious spot.Not green or converted .Dont wanna give wrong info.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

There is a modest hotel near the Hollywood/Highland center and the Walk of Fame and Grauman's theater called Orchid Suites.

We stayed there after meeting our daughter and son-in-law after they came off a Mexican cruise. We had a separate bedroom with sleeping arrangements in the living room and a kitchen.

It is on its own kind of cul de sac right next door to the Hollywood/Highland complex, which makes it very quiet. If you will need a car there is free covered parking. There is a public computer in the lobby for guest use. We used it to print boarding passes for our trip home.

The public transportation to Universal is only a couple of blocks away.

I do not hesitate to recommend this, especially for a family. When we had young children a kitchen was a real bonus.

There is a swimming pool, but it is not heated in the winter.

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Orchid Suites is a nice, reasonable place. Hollywood Heights Hotel is a block further uphill--slightly nicer pool, nicer lobby decor, slightly more expensive but less space in the rooms. Either of them works fine.

The Crowne Plaza in Beverly Hills would be OK, and is in a kind of interesting ethnic area, but doesn't have nearly the transit that Hollywood has. In Hollywood you've got the metro, numerous buses--it's one stop on the metro to Universal Studios. Given your plan I wouldn't do it.

All of the places you mentioned are eminently reachable on transit.

Canberra
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Families in Hollywood - accomodation etc.. ?

Hi fellow Aussie. My husband and I stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood in 2008 after reading good reviews on Trip advisor. We found it a great spot as it was only a block or two from Walk of Fame and all those other attractions, plus it was close to the Metro and a quick trip to Universal. There is also a double decker bus(Starline) that leaves from outside Grauman's Theatre. It is a hop on hop off tour so you go through Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive, Sunset Blvd, Farmer's Markets, Page museum and a few other spots.(They also had specific tours to other places) The Magic Castle Hotel is a converted appartment complex and had a pool in the middle of it. It probably needs updating but it was very clean and comfortable. The beds and pillows were fantastic!, Staff were extremely helpful and breakfast (good selection) was included and you could have that sitting around the pool or in your room .Plus drinks and snacks were supplied on request from reception at any time which was also an added bonus. It was also very quiet! Thouroughly recommend it for location and service!