We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo at LAX

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo at LAX

We are renting a concertible from LAX with Alamo. Does anyone know what model of convertible they use? We are dropping off in Las Vegas if that makes any difference.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo at LAX

We rented a convertable from Alamo last year (picked up at SFO) expecting a Chrysler Sebring but we actaully got a Mitsubushi Eclipse. Not much trunk space and we had to put one bag on the (small) back seat but it was very nice to drive (so my other half tells me) and as there was only 2 of us, ideal.

We've used Alamo again this year and their website has the Sebring as the example of what convertable people are likely to receive.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo at LAX

Thank you. I have never heard of this car before. Looks nice though. We are going to have a space issue as we will have two bags plus a golf carrier. However this will only be until we get to our apartment and when we move to las vegas.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo at LAX

there is never a guarantee of what car you're going to get except for some special programs by some rental companies (eg, I think Avis has program where if you rent a Mustang you're guaranteed a Mustang, but you pay dearly for it).

For example, I've rented from Dollar at LAX many times and while they feature Chrysler cars I once got a Japanese mid-size SUV there (I think it was an Isuzu)

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo at LAX

I remember hiring a car from Dollar (I think) at Miami many years ago. There was only a handful of cars in this vast parking lot when we arrived in the dark. I cannot remember the name of the car but it was the ugliest car I have ever seen. The picture on the website when was some great looking car (or similar). From then on I never raise my expectations.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo at LAX

Alamo told us that last year they were having problems getting hold of Sebrings as less were being made because of the recession and at that time Mitsubushi had been able to fill their requirement gap.

No idea what we'll get this year although we'd love to have another Mitsubushi like last year's.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo at LAX

When are you going? We are out in the middle of September. It will be our first visit to the West Coast.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo at LAX

Roughly the last 2 weeks of August for 17 nights. Flying into LAX then driving down to San Diego after that - Las Vegas - Zion - Death Valley - Yosemite - Napa - then a one night stop in San Luis Obispo on our way back to LAX. We wanted to fly out of SFO but it was much more expensive if we wanted our preferred flight times.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo at LAX

Sounds like a great trip. Please let me know how you get on with the car.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo at LAX

Yes you have a fantasic time as well, I'm sure you'll love California even now when I'm having a bad day I think back to the time we spent there last year and it just makes the day seem a bit brighter :-)

I'll post up a trip report as soon as we're back at the end of August

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo at LAX

Great trip - we did more or less the same one in reverse excluding San Diego, in 2008. Started off in San Fran then Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs and Los Angeles. Sat Nav was a godsend.

We rented a car from Alamo in SF and got a free upgrade from Compact to Intermediate - a Chevy Impala Sport - not a convertible but loved the car.

We're back again for another trip later this year - Las Vegas, Palm Springs San Diego and Los Angeles.