We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of emergency- how bad is it?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
State of emergency- how bad is it?

Hi,

I'm due in LA in a week's time. How bad is the rain situation there?

I've read there is a state of emergency there with the floods and potetial mudslides.

Please put my mind at rest that it wll be ok for my trip!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

It's just a lot of rain, ending later today. Don't worry, you'll be fine and won't be in any affected areas. Although there is a chance of rain next week as well, but nothing like this week. Due to this being an El Nino year, they say we're in for a lot of rain this season. But again, it's just rain.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

Completely irrelevant to your situation. The city is very large and the impact is for specific neighborhoods which it is unlikely you are visiting,unless you have friends or family living there. If you do, they can tell you the extent of the problem.

Always remember, the media will sensationalize any event. You should be sceptical of most of what you see and read.

HTH

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

Don't give it a minute's though or worry.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

All will be back to normal by next week - indeed, I was thinking someone should post "Next week is a GREAT time to visit Southern California."

Rain will be gone, we'll have warm, mild weather, everything will be clean and green - couldn't be a better time to visit.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

Nothing to worry about. Like Hitch said, the media sensationalizes everything. This is a city where, at the first sign of drizzle, the local newscasts announce that they're on "Storm Watch" as if there's an impending disaster.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

I'm really looking forward to a nice sunny weekend. I love it after the rain when it is fresh and "clean and green" as cookie said.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

I've got friends flying in this weekend from NJ. They have been so worried this week watching the nightly news, thinking we are all washing away, but they will have some nice weather this week, and better than where they are coming from.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

Since you're an international visitor, a quick explanation. Yes, the local governments declared a state of emergency. That mobilizes agencies on the State and Federal levels. Without the declaration they cannot assist "before the fact" on a local level in some cases. They would have to wait until an actual emergency happened.

More importantly, it provides disaster relief funds to local agencies and property owners who had losses or expenses.

In other words, it's a formality in this specific case and there have thankfully not been any life-threatening emergencies or large property losses.

Edited: 22 January 2010, 23:04
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

We are some at sort "state of emergency" for half a year. If it is fire, floods or earthquakes. It is called that way to release funds to the people that need help without a lot of beurocratic red tape. It does not really effect the city of L.A. proper. No worries, we are still standing, rain can not make L.A. disspear :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,859 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State of emergency- how bad is it?

The "potential mudslides" are a reality. But they do not happen in the metropolitan part of the city of Los Angeles but in the outlying areas where people have been foolish enough to build their expensive houses on unstable hillsides, with a lot of trees and brush.

During the summer, fires inundate the areas which burns off the stabilizing vegetation so that if So Cal gets a lot of unusual rain, mudslides can be a reality.

Not to worry a visitor. You will not be affected.