We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating LAX airport

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Navigating LAX airport

How hard is it to get out of LAX airport on to the Freeway going to San Diego? Is it well sign posted coming out of the airport with signs saying San Diego or is it a freeway maze?

I'm planning on hiring a car and usually hire a GPS but I have worked out it would be cheaper to buy one when I arrive so if I can just find my way to a Walmart somewhere or San Diego which ever comes first I should be right.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Just make your way to Century Bl (ask at the car hire lot, if need be) and head westbound. (If you head eastbound, you'll enter the airport! If you do, just follow the road around (it's a loop) and you'll head back onto Century Bl westbound. Once you're on Century Bl, there are huge, illuminated signs for the San Diego Freeway aka 405 Freeway. Follow the signs to the southbound entrance -- it will be a right turn off of Century Bl. Here's a map showing the route from the airport to the entrance to the 405 freeway but be aware that the car hire lots are not AT the airport but adjacent to it. The entrance to the freeway is at point C.

www.mapquest.com/mq/5-nw_ie4bo9QcnG0aE6WwL

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Excellent instructions - sounds easy! I bet I end up doing a loop of the airport hopefully on the correct side of the road since you guys drive on the wrong side of road LOL

thanks for your help :)

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
803 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Just a suggestion, but why not purchase your GPS at home and take it with you. Then you don't have to take the time to purchase it and/or figure it out! We're taking ours with us and my husband has entered all the addresses we'll need into it ahead of time.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigating LAX airport

If you want to buy a GPS near LAX, make your way to Sepulveda Blvd. from the car rental location and head south (ask the car rental people to point you to Sepulveda Blvd. Soutbound. Drive about 2 miles to Rosecrans Ave. and make a left to head east on Rosecrans. Immediately you'll come to Fry's Electronics on the right hand side, where they have tons of GPS units. After that, you can continue east on Rosecrans about 1 mile and you will come to the 405 freeway, which you can then take south to San Diego - but at this point your new GPS should be guiding you :)

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Post #1 is backwards (turn your monitor right-side up HSJ!!) :-)

Take Century Blvd *eastbound* towards the 405 Freeway. Going *westbound* leads into the airport terminal.

Also FYI, the rental cars are all at a remote central lot at 96th and Sepulveda, a block north of "point A" in the Mapquest link that HSJ provided.

If you're hungry, there is an In-n-Out Burger across Sepulveda from the rental lots where Lincoln curves off from Sepul. There's also a supermarket and a drugstore in the same center. In-n-Out has great burgers, almost a cult following, though many say it's overhyped.

The suggestion about Fry's is good, there is also a Best Buy nearby. Best Buy is the largest electronics retailer in the US and has good prices. Fry's is good too, a little more computer hobbyist oriented. If you don't see what you want, shop the other store.

405 south merges with I-5 south in Irvine. There are carpool (HOV) lanes all the way to San Clemente, which can be used with 2 or more in your car. The entrances and exits are clearly marked, and you can cross in either direction over a dashed white line. Never cross over the "double-yellow", a big fine if you're caught. FYI, the HOV exits tend to be rather close to some of the exits they feed, so I suggest exiting the HOV when you're within a few miles of your intended exit.

If you buy a GPS or bring one from Oz, be sure it can be easily loaded with the US maps before or after you arrive here. Vice-versa if you buy one here. I recommend getting one with "lane guidance"....at junctions it will tell you which specific lane to be in and start moving you to that lane in advance. That's far more useful than "Exit to Route xxx in .5 miles". I'm most familiar with Garmin and theirs works uncannily well....others are no doubt just as good. US$100-$200 should get a very good unit.

missouri city
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Coming out of LAX you have 2 choices of freeways. The 105 and 405. Take the 405 south and that will merge with 5 south which will take you all the way down to San Diego.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Kenish is correct. You'll want to head EASTBOUND on Century to the 405 Fwy South. (Not westbound)

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navigating LAX airport

thanks for all the posts and pointing me in the right direction and I will try and check out Frys I will look it up on mapquest. I worked out it was cheaper to buy one in the US for $100-$150 then buying one at home and then buying the maps. We will be in the US again in Sept. so it will get plenty of use.

One question on GPSs in US they do come with all the maps already loaded? I don't want to have to fiddle around getting maps on the darn thing!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navigating LAX airport

Generally speaking, they do come with pre-loaded maps. However they may not be fully updated depending on when the individual unit was manufactured. It's only an issue when navigating newer suburbs, or finding restaurants and stores since many have been going of business. Not a big deal, however.

One comment on Fry's- the sales assistance is not top notch. It may be a little difficult getting help if you have numerous questions, and the staff person may not be knowledgeable in GPS. That's not a reason to avoid Fry's, but if you need a lot of sales assistance and advice then Best Buy is better.

Definitely be sure it comes with the maps preloaded, best not to assume.

Edited: 21 March 2010, 20:47
Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navigating LAX airport

thanks I have been doing a bit of research and have a few of the cheaper ones picked out and will check their stock just before I leave. Most seem to come with 48 states of USA and some with Canda as well (but you might have to download that one)