We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water warm enough to swim?

Level Contributor
303 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Water warm enough to swim?

Hi - will be arriving in LA this weekend - was wondering if the water in Santa Monica beach is warm enough to swim in? I've been seeing some high temparatures over the past few weeks, so I wasn't sure if the water's warm yet...

Thanks!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

Definitely warmer than Lake Ontario, but just a little. There is no ice, but your skin might not notice. Definitely bring your wetsuit.

LA
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

No, not warm enough to swim in.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

Even at its warmest, in the summer months, the water around LA only gets to about 68 degrees or so, its never very hot. At this time of year, wet suit highly recommended. Also, weather has been warm so far this week but is supposed to start cooling a bit on Thursday.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

No Way...not yet. Maybe dipping your toes in a bit would be okay.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,625 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

The water is fine for a quick dip to cool off, but not for long term exposure.

http://www.watchthewater.org/beach.cfm?bid=45

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

We'll warm up to swimmable somewhere in August.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

I walked down to the water with my granddaughter yesterday. Great to have the waves splash on your feet, or sit at the water's edge and build sand castles, but not swimming weather.

Level Contributor
303 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

Sigh....okay...just wishful thinking, I guess! That's quite alright, it was 12 degrees celcius in Toronto today and nearly 30 degrees in LA, so that alone is more than enough to make me happy and excited for the weekend! Thanks everyone, for your advice!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

Nancy, you can do it off-season. I remember swimming on New Year's Day. But, it is mighty cold. On a blazing hot day, maybe. You should also undestand that during the off season, there are no lifeguards and the conditions are much more dangerous.

HTH

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water warm enough to swim?

Looking at weather reports it seems to be running between 57 and 59 degrees. At the level the human body starts to shed excess organs. Maybe you folks from the frozen north are more tolerant. Still... bring some moose or seal fat to rub on for insulation.