We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding LA traffic

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Avoiding LA traffic

We will be traveling this summer from Malibu to Newport beach. Looking at the map, I noticed several possible routes. I am trying to avoid as much traffic as possible( Ha! Ha!) I was thinking route 10 out of Santa Monica to route 5 to route 55. does this sound correct? Or should I take another route? any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure we will be leaving Malibu early afternoon.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

Google's suggested route for this: Highway 1 to I10 west to 405 S to 710 S then back on Highway 1 seems like a good way to go. Otherwise, I'd stay on 405 until the 55 S.

You won't avoid LA traffic, but you can minimize it, and for that I'd say that the time of day you make this journey will be more important that the particular route used. Avoid rush hours (7-9:30AM, 4-7PM weekdays) and you'll get there much faster.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

Just remember that nowadays, there's even traffic on the weekends, especially Saturdays! Just be prepared for it. Not sure if your route will have any traffic on Saturdays, but route 5 is notoriously one of the most unpredictable freeways in L.A.!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

The only way to avoid L.A. traffic is to not drive through L.A. LOL. Just kidding. Have a good trip.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

I'd take the 10 to the 405 to the 55, and start by 2 pm latest to avoid the worst of the traffic.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

It isn't the route, as much as time of day. However don't' forget we've got carpool lanes so you can take advantage of those.

2pm is too late to avoid traffic, you'd be wanting to ARRIVE in NB by then, so I'd depart at around 10:30-11am (definitely before lunch). Or very late, say after 8pm.

Avoid routes with construction such as the I-10 (Santa Monica). IF you have access to a computer before you leave you can check the Traffic feature on maps.google.com.

At the moment I think you'd be best to take the 405 (San Diego Freeway) all the way to the 55 (Costa Mesa Frwy) It's about 11 am now, and it's pretty much "green" all the way. And yes we do put a "the" in front of the freeway names or numbers here!

Edited: 23 March 2010, 17:53
PA
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

Sorry I didn't put the "THE" in front of the freeway names and numbers. Must be a west coast thing. Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll check back again before we leave and look at construction routes etc..

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,473 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

Follow Pasca's route

10 to the 405

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

The answer is, it depends. Use your GPS unit and look at the traffic and plan your route accordingly. Everything else is just a guess. Bring your iPhone or get a rental with a GPS system for traffic.

HTH

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

Do some GPS's tell you traffic conditions?? I'm pretty sure those cheapy ones at the rental car places won't do it.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding LA traffic

That I don't know. I have been spoiled by my iPhone.