We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency rate

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Currency rate

Hi,

I will be visiting LA in a few days and am wondering to change my money when i get there (will be chaning British Pounds to Dollar). Does anyone know the exchange rates at LAX if I want to change money when I arrive? And also are there any currency exchange places at LAX (international arrivals).

thanks in advance.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,093 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency rate

There are currency exchange bureaus at LAX although they are fading from the world quickly since most travelers use their ATM or Debit cards to withdraw money from their accounts at home. If you have such a card, I would encourage you to use it rather than haul pounds with you. The exchange rate and fees will be less and you'll only need to withdraw what you need (there are ATM's EVERYWHERE so you can withdraw the money as you need it).

Check with your bank to uncover what fees it charges you for international withdrawals (this would be in addition to the modest fees charged at the ATMs -- these are disclosed to you before you agree to withdraw the money and are usually between $2 and $3).

Currency Exchange at LAX is run by ICE. Here's their website:

http://www.iceplc.com/

Edited: 25 March 2010, 17:34
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency rate

Definitely check with your bank to see what fees and exchange rates apply to use of an ATM, a debit card, and credit cards.

LA is no different than any other place in the world....the Bureau du Change booths at the airport or tourist venues are a major ripoff that will provide you with a very poor net exchange rate.

Use of ATMs and cards is arguably more common than cash in the USA...so choose the means that works out best for you. Some UK banks have agreements with US banks for use of ATM networks. Find out if yours does, and use their US partner's machines to save a few dollars per transaction.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency rate

You'll want a 4-digit pin.

4. Re: Currency rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 06:19