We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

Hi, am travelling to the states and don't know the best way to organise my finances. Has anyone heard of either of these cards listed above or know of a better way to use ATMS in the US with minimum fees?

Thanks guys

australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

Hi, I am currently overseas and was having the same issues with how to access money whilst overseas, I have been using a commonwealth bank travel money card which works exactly the same as the anz travel card. The travel money card has been great so far, and it saves you alot in bank fees, because i know most banks charge around $5 aud for you to withdraw cash + a conversion fee from most eftpos cards... enjoy your trip :)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

Thank you, I will investigate the Comm Bank card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

I'm taking some cash with me and the rest I'll be using my debit card, withdrawing $200-300 at a time due to fees. Apparently if you run out of money on your travel card, you pay a small fee to top it up. Plus I think there are still ATM fees involved with withdrawing, yeah?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

I went to NY last year and took an ANZ card, it was great for a couple of reasons:

- I locked in my FOREX rate when I put the money on the card, so i knew exactly what rate I was getting

- only small fees when withdrawing from ATMs / paying on credit

- the best thing in my opinion was that i knew exactly how much money I was using / had left. Eg: I knew at the start that I had $2,000 USD on the card, so I could keep a track of how much I had spent as I went. If you just use your Aussie card, you need to be constantly doing FOREX conversions in your head etc.

ANZ card was fantastic!!

cheers

James

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

We use the wizard card and have found it great. My son who lives in the States uses it all the time as there are no fees and charges for foreign transactions.

We`ve found the same in India and Vietnam.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k…

This is a lengthy thread about the ANZ travel card.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k3…

All the info will probably add to your confusion!

Edited: 08 April 2010, 04:19
qld
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

We have just returned from USA and used Comm.Bank Travel card no trouble with card.I liked that I knew how much I had when I left at a confirmed rate.No fees to use it as eftpos never used pin for purchases only sign and for amounts under $50 didn't even sign.Make sure you also have a credit card to use for held deposits eg car rental.We made the mistake of using ours for cruise security(for any money spent )They held $300 on every card!!Which ment we were short that $300us cash until released 2-3 weeks later!Not much good after we were home.If you have any further questions just ask.

7. Re: Cash/ATM? Wizard, ANZ travel card or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:17