We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Beach or Santa Monica

The Curragh, Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Beach or Santa Monica

Hi All, We've got 2 options when it comes to accommodation. The first one is just a block from Venice beach with sea views and a bicycle thrown in (whoop) lovely little apartment. The second is closer to 3rd street promenade in santa monica and while not as nice an apartment it is more expensive. Which is the better area please people. I know both places are fantastic, but id just like a little advise please as to which area would be better to stay in? Look forward to our stay either in venice area or santa monica. tanx

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

Largely depends on the environment you're looking for, whether you'll have a car and what other sites you're visiting. Venice is a little bit south of Santa Monica, making it a little bit further away from most tourist attractions than Santa Monica. If you're driving, this isn't a problem, By bus, however, this can add a little to your transfer time.

Secondly, the 3rd Street Promenade is a 3-block stretch of major chain stores, restaurants and bars. Venice does not have this kind of shopping although Abbot Kinney Bl has several blocks of boutique shops and restaurants. Santa Monica is a MAJOR CITY which is 'up late'. Venice is the "old beach area" of L.A. which, largely shuts down at night (certainly the boardwalk -- what we call 'the strand' -- is deserted after dark. Abbot Kinney is 'up late' as well but compared to Santa Monica, Venice is kind of 'sleepy' after dark.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

What are the links to these properties? Venice can be sketchy, or fantastic. It all depends on where it is.

Both areas are great when visiting.

The Curragh, Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

thanks so much yogachick and hopskip and jump, we dont mind up late or quiet. maybe a mixture of both. i found the properties by a google search but theres a link to them on facebook as well and the reviews are good. am leaning more towards santa monica now, as i dont plan on having a car for most of the trip (going to hire bikes) , and will be reliant on public transport. wouldnt mind hiring a car for a day or 2 though, to drive down the coast if its advisable? am thinking with a sat nav we'll be fine getting around :) thanks again for the replies and i wouldnt mind being in either santa monica or venice now ha

The Curragh, Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

oh yea the place we were looking at in santa monica are the breeze suites thankx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

Sea View Inn is in a perfect location on Main Street, right between Santa Monica and Venice. Stay there.

It's a good idea to have a car for exploring the inland part of LA, i.e. Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills etc since you're already thinking of renting one.

I don't know what you mean about a trip down the coast. Do you want to head to Orange County or were you thinking north to Santa Barbara. Both options would take 1-1.5hrs each way and should be done as full day trips.

The Curragh, Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

thanks very much smart cookie

7. Re: Venice Beach or Santa Monica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:17