We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Thank you TA for such a helpful and complete article on to and from LAX. I assume that Omni hotel in S Olive street is called downtown?

We are arriving in LA at 3pm Friday afternoon, rush hour, ( I know I know bad timing) and the choice is for a fixed rate cab fare or shared shuttle, we are 2 people, 2 cases.

Will the cab driver be ok if you ask for fixed rate? $46.50 plus tip plus surcharge?

What are your thoughts. Aslo re returning to LAX for a Tuesday flight departing at 21.30, shuttle van or cab?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Its really just a question of cost vs. convenience - around $30 for the shuttle for the two of you, but they might circle the airport to fill the van, and instead of going directly to the Omni, they might detour to pick up or drop off other passengers, so could take longer than a taxi.

Yes, the Omni is considered in downtown, and it is located in the flat rate $46.50 LAX -> downtown taxi zone.

As for the return to the airport, I'm not sure if the flat $46.50 rate applies.

Also be aware that you can easily do this journey on public transportation plus a slight bit of walking - take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station (make sure to board the FlyAway to Union Station, not to Westwood, Van Nuys or Irvine). At Union Station, take the red or purple line subway one stop to the Civic Center Station, then walk over to the Omni, about 1/2 mile. Cost would be $7 for the FlyAway plus $1.25 for the subway per person, so $16.50 total.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,409 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Or you could combine the two:

1. Union Station Flyaway Bus to Union Station (45 minutes -- on a Friday). $7 per person.

2. Transfer to a taxi for the 4 minute ride to the Omni ($10 or so).

Note: the Flyaway bus runs every 30 minutes (there's no way to know exactly what time -- every 30 minutes -- it will pull up at your terminal since there are 8 terminals in the airport and it has to stop at each). The bus also 'falls behind schedule' sometimes. Bottom line: if you walk to the pickup point for the Flyaway and there's no one waiting, it probably just came by. Once aboard, however, it completes its circuit of the airport and heads for downtown (the bus plaza behind Union Station).

The point is: if you've just missed the Flyaway and don't want to hassle with delays on the shared vans, paying a little extra for a taxi might not be a bad idea -- especially after 12 to 15 hours on a plane + 60 to 90 minutes going through immigration, baggage claim and customs.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Thank you, what a great help, like the other reply. I forgot to say, we are on the way home and this flight is only from NY 6hours but great information. Incoming travellers would read this too.

Again, thanks.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Great information, now I will go back to FAQ's and read all about Flyaway bus. Thank you. This is an outgoing trip from NY, then LAX-Melb after 4 days in LA which we have never visted before.

Many thanks, what would I do without TA!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

The cabs are required to accept the flat fares, but they might be friendlier about it if you have cash. I got a big attempt to demand more money one time when I paid with a credit card, which taxis are required to accept. Personally, I go for the Flyaway.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

Thats ok, I always pay cash but am looking at Flyaway right now, thank you very much for input and advice.

7. Re: transport decisions-Omni hotel-LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 07:16