We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighter socket in rental cars

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Lighter socket in rental cars

We are heading to California in September and are planning on buying a GPS prior to going with appropriate maps installed. I have read that some of the rental car companies have the lighter sockets disabled which means we couldn't charge our GPS as we drive. Does anyone know if this is common practice?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

I don' t know the answer but I've rented out of LAX twice a year for some time (generally from Dollar but also Thrifty & Enterprise, as well as an Avis neighborhood location once) and it's never been mentioned.

I can tell you that on some (many?) cars there is an accessory power supply that looks just like a lighter but isn't a lighter (my 2000 Honda Civic has this and the owners manual makes a point of telling you that there is no actual lighter in the car). I have a 2009 Odyssey and I can't remember what it has (I don't smoke)

ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

I rented a car from enterprise and used my GPS unit while I was in LA.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

My personal car has an accessory socket to use for electronic thingies or for cell phone recharging (12V recharging is soooooo slow compared to 120V at home or in hotels).

I have no idea whether or not I could light a coffin nail with it, because my diet doesn't include those.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

Yes, a lot of rental car comanies disable the lighter sockets to discourage people from smoking in the cars. But as stated, MOST rental cars will have the accessory socket in the car. Usually it's located in or near the same place. Some cars will have more than 1! Just check the car beforehand. If it doesn't have one, you can always request another car, and hopefully, they'll have another 1 for you.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

Thanks so much for your advice, we' ll go ahead and purchase one.

6. Re: Lighter socket in rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:16