We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

As I'm getting closer to my trip I have another question I hope that everyone can help with.

I have tickets to the Tonight Show Taping on June 14th - is the studio easily accessible by public transit or what would the taxi fare be - we are staying at the Four Seasons on S. Doheny Drive and most likely won't have a car.

Additionally, is it worth going, I'm already trying to determine who the guests will be as that could be a factor, however this is basically an entire afternoon of our trip as we have to be there for 2:30 and I don't believe that it's over until 5 or 6. Has anyone been - is it worth the experience?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

Transfer via public transit will take about 75 minutes and will involve three connecting conveyances:

1. The #714 bus eastbound running along Beverly Bl (adjacent to the hotel) to the corner of Beverly Bl and Vermont Av. Transfer to:

2. The red line metro rail ("to North Hollywood") and get off at the Universal City stop. Exit the metro rail station and walk to the opposite side of Lankershim Bl and you'll see a bus stop. (Do not walk to the bus plaza that is next to the metro rail station). Transfer to:

3. The #96 bus ("To downtown") and get off at Alameda Av & Olive which is in front of NBC.

Another option would be to rent a car for the day. This will save you some time and headache. As far as whether it's worth it, I enjoyed it and, in the 5 years that I've been part of this Forum, I don't recall anyone saying that they regretted going to a taping.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

I would definitely do it, as it is basically the only guaranteed way to see a famous person in Los Angeles (other than buying a ticket to a concert or live theater performance). We went to some of those shows when I was a kid, I saw the Sonny & Cher show, the Carol Burnett show and several game shows. We did not go to the Tonight Show because they had a minimum age then and I wasn't old enough. TV studios are notoriously cold - the air conditioning is used fiercely, to combat the hot studio lights - so bring a good sweater along with you. And bring your patience, as there may be some boring times where you are just sitting waiting, so bring something to read or listen to. And eat first, because there is no way to eat in the studio. They give out more tickets than they have seats for, as a way to make sure all seats are filled. So having a ticket does not guarantee admission, so you will want to get in line early. Some studios have a policy that if you don't get into the show you had a ticket for, they will give you special tickets for another show that will guarantee you admission to that one.

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

bw92116 said:

"They give out more tickets than they have seats for, as a way to make sure all seats are filled. So having a ticket does not guarantee admission, so you will want to get in line early."

That was going to be my question. My Wife and I will be there on July 6th and 7th and I was thinking of getting some tickets for something like the Tonight Show. But talking with a friend they said that you need to go like 3 hours early to make sure you get a seat. Do we really have to go that early? I assume it would depend on the guests?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

I really don't know about the Tonight Show, as I have never been to that. If the person who told you to go there 3 hours early has actually been to it, then I would trust their advice. I would take the advice of people who have actually been to see the show you are going to see. I think in some cases you may not know who the guests are going to be, in years past I don't think we know who any special guests would be. I think the LA Times publishes in their daily TV listings who the guests on talk shows are scheduled to be, so that might help.

5. Re: TV Show Taping - is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 08:23