We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightime in LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nightime in LAX

Hi,

My mum & I are travelling to the LA in July. We're stopping over at one of the hotels on century blvd, LAX for 1 night as we're catching an afternoon flight to Las Vegas. I was just wondering whether there is anything we can do in the surrounding areas to kill time during the night? i've heard that the area is not safe at night but are there any places to go nearby where it is safe to go by bus/taxi?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightime in LAX

Take a taxi over to the pier area in Manhattan Beach for a few hours, or to one of the restaurants in Marina Del Rey. The area by the LAX hotels is pretty empty in terms of restaurants and other things to do - all there is nearby are other hotels/hotel restaurants and a few scattered fast food places.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightime in LAX

I wouldn't call the area unsafe; it's just boring: rows of steel and glass hotels and office buildings and concrete sidewalks. Dozens of vans whizzing by transferring passengers to various places. There are a number of beach communities within 10 to 25 minutes from LAX including Manhattan Beach (the closest) as mentioned by MachThree, Marina del Rey (a little bit further), Venice (not recommended, given your requirements) and Santa Monica (the furthest).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightime in LAX

You can take the Ocean Express Red Trolley to Manhattan Beach for just $3.00 each way. You buy the tickets at the front desk of the airport hotels on Century Blvd. They take you directly to the MB Pier, where lots of shops and restaurants are. There are two other stops on the way back to the hotels, the MB Village Mall and theaters and the El Segundo Plaza.

The summer hours are from 9 am to 10:30 PM at night. If you are having fun and want to stay later, you can easily take a cab back to your hotel.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…

Let me know if you would like any restaurant recs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightime in LAX

Thanks for your input.

Also, are there things happening at night @ Marina Del Rey? what time does the shop close

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightime in LAX

What night of the week? Friday and Saturday nights normally have a lot more activity than weeknights at all the beach areas.

If you will be here on July 4 you're in luck. That's our Independence Day; street fairs, beach community fireworks, etc. A bit like Anzac Day.

Edited: 05 June 2010, 23:42
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,961 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightime in LAX

Marina del Rey doesn't have very much going on at all, but nearby Venice does. Go to Abbot Kinney and walk the shops and restaurants.

7. Re: Nightime in LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 05:17