My wife and I recently did 7 days up along NO CAL coast. Here are some tips.
- We rented car from FOX at San Fran Airport. The line was not nearly as bad as the other counters and we were pleased with the car. Alot cheaper than others also, just decline the extra coverage they try to sell.
- First night we drove over Golden Gate up to Bodega Bay. Nice little town, stayed across street from the Gas Staion\restaurant famous for BIRDS Movie. Very Nice and good offseason rates- We went in mid May and North of San Fran was like no one was around, great time to travel.
- Went up Highway 1 and cut over to Guerneville, my wife did not want to go all the way up on 1. Coastline was great.
- Spectacular countryside all the way up to Redwood National Forest. RNF is awesome. Went all the way up to Crescent City.
- Second half of week went down to Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach and Big SUR coastline. The BIG SUR coastline, about 90 mile stretch along Highway 1 is a MUST SEE! Take your time and enjoy, one of the best rides in USA. Carmel is a cool town and great Beach, Eat lunch at Clint Eastwoods Hogsbreath, I was surprised at how good the Burgers were and pretty cheap too.
- Summary: Coastline was great above and below San Fran. Countryside spectacular also. We have traveled alot and I can't say I have ever seen such a diverse amount of natural beauty in an area like Northern California. Coastline Rocky, Beaches, Green Mountains, Redwoods, Vineyards, Coastal Towns, San Francisco. Great trip.